What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

exact steps to upgrade JB 4.3.3 ipad 2 (wifi) to 5.0.1

Grither

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi gang... based on all my reading i believe the time is right for me to upgrade from 4.3.3 which is jailbroken, to un jailbroken 5.0.1. i realize i will lose my jailbreak, and there is no guarantee that it will ever be released, but for me i'm willing to accept that risk.

i haven't updated the ipad firmware in quite awhile, and i'm a bit uncertain how to. my main issue is that i've got about 30gigs of comics in my favorite program (comic zeal) and i want to make sure this is all restored after 5.0.1 is loaded.

i think the steps are:

-make backup of current ipad through itunes
-bought and used pkgbackup to save all jb settings (in hopes jb is released)
-download proper version of official firmware 5.0.1 ipad 2, wifi
-put ipad into dfu mode
-go to itunes, use shift click to restore, and choose manually download firmware
-this will update the ipad
-here's where i'm not sure- after all this, will my non-jb programs be restored (including comic zeal above)? or will i then need to choose restore from backup?

OR should i just choose update from itunes, which i presume will backup the ipad, restore to 5.0.1, and load backup?

thanks any advice is appreciated

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You got it right. Restore from backup in iTunes at the end. Don't choose to update (which you can't do anyway from 4.3.3 JB). That would simply fail.

Then, once 5.0.1 is jailbroken, jailbreak it, install PKGBackup, and restore your JB apps & settings.

You might want to refer to this, particularly Step 7 for the notes on compatibility - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...p-safeguard-your-jailbreak-apps-settings.html

OP
G

Grither

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cool thanks for the reply. but i'm not getting to far! restore provides error 1600. have checked tinyumbrella to ensure 'set hosts to cydia' is unchecked. tried two cables.

hmmm... any other advice to bypass this error?

OP
G

Grither

iPF Noob
Reaction score
update for anyone else with this problem- i ended up restoring without dfu mode, and without the shift click, ie just restore from itunes. seemed to work fine. i presume the risk of doing it this way is that there's a slight chance that apple releases 5.0.2 or 5.1 right when you're restoring which means you update the fw past the version which can be updated...

illustratoor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grither said:
cool thanks for the reply. but i'm not getting to far! restore provides error 1600. have checked tinyumbrella to ensure 'set hosts to cydia' is unchecked. tried two cables.

hmmm... any other advice to bypass this error?

Same problem here. I want to update my jailbroken iPad 2 from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1. Followed all the steps as described but i keep getting the 1600 error. (set hosts to cydia is unchecked)
f4780y wrote you cannot update a 4.3.3 jailbroken iPad in iTunes. Does this mean i can't upgrade at all?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

illustratoor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here. I want to update my jailbroken iPad 2 from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1. Followed all the steps as described but i keep getting the 1600 error. (set hosts to cydia is unchecked)
f4780y wrote you cannot update a 4.3.3 jailbroken iPad in iTunes. Does this mean i can't upgrade at all?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ok! I solved the problem. (with thanks to Grither.)
I'm on an pad2 3G running 4.3.3 (jailbroken) and now 5.0.1. Like Grither I restored from iTunes, without putting the iPad in DFU-mode and with out Alt(/shift)-click. I used a manual downloaded firmware. It worked perfect.
I stil don't know what went wrong and why I kept getting the 1600 error.

IPADfreak90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think to use shift+restore u need to put ur ipad2 into Pwned DFU mode which is nt possible !

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IPADfreak90 said:
i think to use shift+restore u need to put ur ipad2 into Pwned DFU mode which is nt possible !

Not true :(
Anyone can use the shift-restore method and it does not even require DFU mode.

Pwned DFU mode is used to restore custom firmwares.

If you are restoring a stock firmware, plain old DFU mode is fine.

It is a historical fact the DFU mode was mandatory to be able to restore a jailbroken device with a fresh stock firmware, however Apple have made changes in the iTunes 10.5.x and IOS5 releases meaning that in many cases this no longer seems to be necessary. Simply pressing the "restore" button will now work in the majority of cases without your device having to be in DFU mode. There is no harm in doing it though. And for the record, whilst I'm glad the OP had success just pressing "restore", the DFU / Shift-Restore method should always work just as well, if not better since this is a failsafe mode. It is actually more reliable from a technical perspective.

But I'll support any method, as long as it works :D

Most reactions

Latest posts