What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evaluation of three stylii

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been putting three iPad stylii to the test: the Targus (which I think is representative of a whole class of stylus), the Roger iWand, and the Dagi.

I am evaluating primarily from a handwriting perspective because that is what I primarily use a stylus to do. I am comparing them using Note Taker HD, which, in my opinion, is the best a available.

1. Targus: I think this is a good stylus. It features a soft rubber tip, which requires some force to use properly. In my opinion, just a wee bit too much, but not excessive. It is a good all around stylus, being useful for web browsing and such like that requires one to tap to activate. There is no issue with tapping too hard, but sometimes I find that I do it too softly to get a response.

2. Dagi: I really liked the idea of the Dagi, which has a see-through firm plastic tip with a dot for positioning the "point". However, the point does not always track the virtual ink on the screen---which often lags behind the writing motion. Furthermore, the angle of the somewhat flat tip is wrong for me---considering my favored way of holding a pen or pencil. Then, too, the hard plastic tip doesn't feel quite right in giving tactile feedback from its contact with the screen. I think it might be useful for drawing, but would still require a great deal of learning to use.

3. Roger iWand: This stylus has a fiber tip of some sort that touches the screen. The end is basically a ball of fuzz, something like a tribble if you know about the original Star Trek series. This has interesting positive and negative consequences. Since it is the ends of the fiber whiskers which activate the screen, the user must use an extremely light touch. If you do not develop such a touch, the fibers will eventually compact and the stylus will become very insensitive or not operate at all. The effect is reversible: one simply rolls the tip along a (supplied) strip of velcro to fluff the fibers. But I have found that---with a very light touch---I can achieve much more precise handwriting than with the other two. I still tend to compact the fibers if I use this stylus for browsing, so I have started using my fingers for such operations.

Summary: All things taken into account, the Roger iWand is my clear choice for a handwriting stylus. I am still working on developing a light touch, and I hope that the velcro treatment will continue to revive the tip when needed.

All in all, I heartily recommend the Roger iWand, and would be happy to respond to any questions anyone might have. I also hope that others will post their own comparisons here or somewhere else on the forum, for I think anecdotal stories alone about experiences with a single device are not as useful as are comparisons of several.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you use a screen protector? If so what kind?

A good issue!

No, I don't use one. It seems to me that the screen itself is very tough. I can clean it easily with a soft cloth and maybe a squirt of lens cleaner.

I don't have any experience with protectors. Don't they also get dirty?

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside said:
A good issue!

No, I don't use one. It seems to me that the screen itself is very tough. I can clean it easily with a soft cloth and maybe a squirt of lens cleaner.

Yes, I really want to try my stylus r us on a non-screen protector. Don't know if I want to lose my screen protector?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside said:
A good issue!

Yes, I really want to try my stylus r us on a non-screen protector. Don't know if I want to lose my screen protector?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

@Spink10 - although I currently use a screen protector - a no name CCM brand. Works fine with the stylii. However, I am probably going to get rid of it. I have an iPhone 4 that I use all the time. I have a holster, but generally use it like any other cell phone - I don't baby it, and I have no scratches, marks, etc after 8 months of pretty heavy use. It has been dropped, slid on table surfaces, etc. So, I figure if my iPhone is pristine with heavy use, I probably won't have a problem with taking care of the iPad. My nly reason that I might keep it on, is that I will shortly be putting it a backpack with other stuff for school, and that could cause scratches, but a case is an easy way to deal with that. No screen protector looks as good as the real screen.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside: good review. I have the Targus and Roger iWand as well. The iWand literally just requires ever so light a touch and it was for me a breeze to get used to. It definitely does better with finer handwriting in my experience. Spink10, I have the Zagg Invisible Shield and it does fine with the iWand. ( and the Targus for that matter).

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem at all! I do also have a Pogo, and it's awful. It only works okay on thick font and terrible for anything else. I only ever have used it for my Use Your Handwriting app in iPhone, and it did okay there. When I tried it on the iPad, it just did not work well at all. For iPhone, I just use my finger on UYH now anyway; one the small screen, it's just as quick. Needless to say, I don't use the Pogo anymore.

blaster9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to add to the discussion for a moment. I bought the Targus stylus and I thought it was great compared to using my finger. However, the Targus stylus does not hold a candle to ANY of styluses on Jack's site (stylus-r-us). The iWand, the attorney, the new jersey, the terminator your name it and its just awesome in its own unique way. Each of his styluses have the same fiber tip, and the tip is what makes the stylus superior to any other on the market. Theres just nothing like it. You don't even have to touch the screen. How can you say that about any other stylus out there? Ya cant!! The fibers activate the screen long before you ever have to apply pressure. They're all super light weight, incredibly user-friendly, and unparalleled in every aspect of the word. But the best part of it all...the customer service. I've never ranted and raved over any company's customer service in my life, but I have to say that Jack, and his business in its entirety, is not like any other company out there. If you have a question he's there to help. If you have a problem, he's there to fix it. If you have an issue, he's there to address it. Plain and simple. I'll never look for another stylus, or stylus company, again. Period.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree! I do so like my Roger iWand. Most people like their Stylus R Us products. It is a very consistent thing I have noticed, including myself since getting mine a number of weeks ago. Once you own one, it's very obvious why as it operates so well.

Most reactions