What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Entertainment the Number One Reason To Own an iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

A newly released study examining the impact of the iPad on other media by Resolve Market Research, an LA-based New Media research consulting firm, found that 56 percent of respondents said that their main reason for owing an iPad was for "entertainment", with 42 percent citing the iPad's "cool factor" as the reason they had one, 40 percent saying ownership was down to "convenience", and 28 percent naming the Apple brand name as their reason.

Nearly 50 percent of those polled said that they don't intend to buy an e-Reader now that they have an iPad, and worrying for other members of the portable gaming industry, 38 percent of iPad owners polled said that they won't be buying another portable gaming device now that they have an iPad. This despite the fact that a massive 60 percent of iPad owner/intender respondents said that portable gaming devices are more enjoyable for playing games.

"What's surprising about this research is that consumers end up spending a lot of time playing casual games on their iPads and many will not buy a new portable gaming device as a result. This negatively impacts portable gaming as consumers want to carry fewer devices over time."
Elaine B. Coleman, Ph.D., Chief Research Officer for Resolve Market Research.

Source: Resolve Market Research

iPadHole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadhole.com
This isn't surprising at all. I've never been an avid portable gamer but I can see why others wouldn't want another portable gaming unit. The iPad really is a great all-in-one device.

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outside of the entertainment realm (e.g. gaming, portable video, reading eBooks), the iPad is not the best-in-class device. If you want a workhorse device for heavy-duty computing or word-processing, a Mac or PC laptop is probably a better value. But if all you really want to use it for is the aforementioned gaming, video, eBooks and general web surfing & social media, the iPad can't be beat.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
haha, what's surprising to me is that almost as many people bought one because its cool and made by Apple.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
No surprise at all, that is what the iPad was designed for. The fact you can do more with it is just icing on the cake.... I know for me it replaced my Nintendo DS Lite....

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
Now that I've had the iPad for almost 4 months, I'd definitely agree with the findings of that survey. We definitely end up using the iPad mostly for entertainment -- it's great at casual gaming, a little light email / web / Facebook, and "fun" apps like party games or board games.

I don't find myself using it for much "serious" work -- although I have used it in a pinch to update my website through the Wordpress app or send an important email or whatever. The main "productivity" thing I use it for is as an RSS reader, where it generally does well. I do still sometimes miss being in front of my Mac, where it's much easier to open links, comment on articles, open up files to look up data, etc.

It CAN do a lot of things, but I'm finding the main thing it does really WELL is casual gaming. Most other tasks (web browsing, email, productivity, e-book reading) can be done better on other devices IMHO -- mainly desktop/laptop computers or Kindles/other e-book readers. But the portability and jack-of-all-trades nature makes it useful, and the gaming apps make it fun. But I do have to say that I haven't been using it as much as I thought I would.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its the nearest thing to a pocket library.
Reference being the largest section.
Awesome.

Scarcely touched the laptop since I got it and it travels everywhere with me.

Nothing wrong with games either as we learn through play. Just watch any kid.

Most reactions

Latest posts