What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enabling "Secret" Multitasking Gestures on the iPad 1

jerseymaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would you have to make this change each time you upgrade to a new iOS?

Thanks,
Maggie

Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think millions of hackers disagree. You get the features now so you can enjoy them longer. Hacking isn't all just pushing the boundaries, it is also the joy you get when you can slap apple in the face and say "haha! I bypassed your patch!". We all love the product. We just wish it could do more.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just think you people are acting like apple isn't giving you enough. So you hack and jailbreak, sounds like you guys hate apple, not me. I'm just saying if you have to have it all RIGHT NOW, you're just setting yourselves up for boredom.

OORAH?

YOU PEOPLE!!!!!

no hate here, and i am not one of the dudes that say apple is restricting MY device, i never once complained, but at the same time, i get to do so much on my device, so i like it. I am not an app person, i just like options.

besides multitasking gestures, an example would be, iconoclasm allows more icons on springboard(homescreen), you can choose how much you want, i have 7x6 = 42, apple i think is 5x5 = 25, the example photo is 7x7=49(apps on 1 page), more organized and less use for folders in my books.

now in this photo, pretty sure gridlock was used to space out apps, to have a little fun with your screen.
07eaadc0.jpg

your dock can have as many apps you want, scrolling left to right, with scrollingboard.
239d1298530937-scrollingboard-ipad1.jpg

scrollingboard_sliders10-400x600.png

BiBiNhA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick Question

Ok, I installed the recently free xcode 4.1 (since I'm using Lion)... and I put the multi-gestures features into my ipad.

But I don't want it to be a developer Ipad and want the developer tab to be removed. How do I do that and still maintain the features??

obs.: I had to restore my ipad, that's why I had to reinstall the features. I had installed it before using Snow Leopard and I could remove the developer tab just by removing it from xcode.

But now if I chose to remove the Ipad, it just removes it temporarily and the tab still remains on the ipad. And if I put to ignore the ipad, the gestures are removed from the ipad and worse, the developer tab still remains there.

Help!

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I installed the recently free xcode 4.1 (since I'm using Lion)... and I put the multi-gestures features into my ipad.

But I don't want it to be a developer Ipad and want the developer tab to be removed. How do I do that and still maintain the features??

obs.: I had to restore my ipad, that's why I had to reinstall the features. I had installed it before using Snow Leopard and I could remove the developer tab just by removing it from xcode.

But now if I chose to remove the Ipad, it just removes it temporarily and the tab still remains on the ipad. And if I put to ignore the ipad, the gestures are removed from the ipad and worse, the developer tab still remains there.

Help!
Can you please post details as to where you're seeing a "developer tab"? I took at look at my iPad, iTunes, etc. and I'm not sure what it is you're referring to. (I'm also on OS X 10.7). TIA!

BiBiNhA

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Help!
Can you please post details as to where you're seeing a "developer tab"? I took at look at my iPad, iTunes, etc. and I'm not sure what it is you're referring to. (I'm also on OS X 10.7). TIA!

When you go into settings, on the left where all the setting's tabs are, it's the last option for settings (before you go into the aps idividual settings), underneath the Store tab.

I'll take a picture to show it better.

photo.JPG

Last edited:
OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah...got it. That's interesting. As you can see from the image below, that doesn't appear on my iPad, however per my original post I uninstalled Xcode and I can't recall if it ever showed up that way on my iPad.

2qna49y.png

Three questions then:

First, does Xcode show up in your Apps folder in iTunes? Open iTunes and click on "Apps" in the left-hand column. If so, try deleting it and then re-sync your iPad.

If that doesn't do it, did you completely uninstall Xcode from your Mac? If not you could give that a try, then re-sync your iPad. You can uninstall Xcode by typing this command in terminal:

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all (type "exit" and hit Return after the process is done)

I should have asked this question initially...other than seeing the Developer's App listed are you running into any issues? Is it causing your iPad to not function correctly somehow?

I have an Apple developer's license so if deleting it from your Mac doesn't work I can try posting the question on the Developers Forum to see if anyone there can answer it. However if everything is normal otherwise I'd probably just forget about it. I suspect it will be taken care of when iOS 5 is released.

BTW you can perform a screen capture on your iPad by holding down both the home and power buttons and then releasing them. The screenshot will be saved in your iPad's Photos app.

Curious if anyone else is seeing this and if so, are there any negative effects that you know of? TIA.

Last edited:

BiBiNhA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah...got it. That's interesting. As you can see from the image below, that doesn't appear on my iPad, however per my original post I uninstalled Xcode and I can't recall if it ever showed up that way on my iPad.

2qna49y.png

Three questions then:

First, does Xcode show up in your Apps folder in iTunes? Open iTunes and click on "Apps" in the left-hand column. If so, try deleting it and then re-sync your iPad.

If that doesn't do it, did you completely uninstall Xcode from your Mac? If not you could give that a try, then re-sync your iPad. You can uninstall Xcode by typing this command in terminal:

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all (type "exit" and hit Return after the process is done)

I should have asked this question initially...other than seeing the Developer's App listed are you running into any issues? Is it causing your iPad to not function correctly somehow?

I have an Apple developer's license so if deleting it from your Mac doesn't work I can try posting the question on the Developers Forum to see if anyone there can answer it. However if everything is normal otherwise I'd probably just forget about it. I suspect it will be taken care of when iOS 5 is released.

BTW you can perform a screen capture on your iPad by holding down both the home and power buttons and then releasing them. The screenshot will be saved in your iPad's Photos app.

Curious if anyone else is seeing this and if so, are there any negative effects that you know of? TIA.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

Before upgrading to Mac OS 10.7, I put the multi-gestures feature into my ipad 2 with Xcode Version 4.0 and it also put this developer tab into my ipad's settings. However when deleting the ipad from the xcode's menu it also deleted it from the ipad (keeping the features intact).

But the same thing did not happen with xcode 4.1 for Lion.

So answering your questions... I have removed xcode... it did not remove the developer tab. And it doesn't show on my apps list in my itunes.

And apart for the tab being listed it doesn't do anything. And I also believe that these features will be included in iOS 5 and should resolve this problem... but it's just something that bothers me a little bit just by being there :p

But I rather have the features and keep this tab there than restoring the ipad and losing both the tab and the features.

I just posted to see if anybody new how to resolve this issue because I noticed it was something that occured with the new xcode and mac OS.

Thanks for your help! And thanks for the tip on the screen capture!! :D

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good info then, and good to know that it's not causing any problems. The only thing I can think that it might be doing is logging some of your activity. Not sure if you can turn logging off or not, although I doubt it takes up much space. Fingers crossed it will be enabled in iOS 5 and we can forget about the fuss.

In the meantime it's kind of fun to be able to amaze other iPad owners with our "magical" skills though. ;)

Most reactions