What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emoji keyboard on zagg keyboard?

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see the zagg keyboard has a "globe" symbol, but when i press it a small blue box pops up that says English (us) and no other choices, emoji works fine without the zagg.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you go to Settings > General > Keyboard you can see each of the keyboards you have set up. When you select a keyboard like English you'll see layout choices for both software (on the iPad) and hardware (bluetooth) keyboards.

When you select the Emoji keyboard there is only one layout choice, and it is for the iPad (software) keyboard.

The Zagg keyboard is hardware, of course. Since there is no hardware layout choice for Emoji you can not select the Emoji keyboard and use it from the Zagg.

When you think about this it makes sense. There is no such thing as an emoji bluetooth keyboard. Any layout you set up for a normal keyboard would be almost useless without some kind of keyboard overlay for the physical keyboard.

However, since the Zagg keyboard is made for the iPad it should have the eject key. This key will quickly turn the iPad's software keyboard on/off, letting go to the software Emoji keyboard, and then back to the Zagg as needed.

Or you could set up shortcuts for your favorite emoji: smly for :) , wnky for ;) . That kind of thing.

Last edited:
OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you go to Settings > General > Keyboard you can see each of the keyboards you have set up. When you select a keyboard like English you'll see layout choices for both software (on the iPad) and hardware (bluetooth) keyboards.

When you select the Emoji keyboard there is only one layout choice, and it is for the iPad (software) keyboard.

The Zagg keyboard is hardware, of course. Since there is no hardware layout choice for Emoji you can not select the Emoji keyboard and use it from the Zagg.

When you think about this it makes sense. There is no such thing as an emoji bluetooth keyboard. Any layout you set up for a normal keyboard would be almost useless without some kind of keyboard overlay for the physical keyboard.

However, since the Zagg keyboard is made for the iPad it should have the eject key. This key will quickly turn the iPad's software keyboard on/off, letting go to the software Emoji keyboard, and then back to the Zagg as needed.

Or you could set up shortcuts for your favorite emoji: smly for :) , wnky for ;) . That kind of thing.

Thank you, yes this makes sense. I was thinking abut that after i sent the post. Didn't know about the "eject" key- not sure what key that is, I will have to google that. That was my main issue, having to turn the keyboard on and off just to use emoji. And also never thought about setting up short cuts! Thank you for your help!

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score

found that eject key, geez should have known that was there! thanks again!
and for anyone who cares the eject key is the 4th key at the very top of the zagg keyboard, the one with the little picture of the keyboard!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
found that eject key, geez should have known that was there! thanks again!
and for anyone who cares the eject key is the 4th key at the very top of the zagg keyboard, the one with the little picture of the keyboard!!

I called it the eject key, because that's what the CD Eject key does on an Apple keyboard; when connected to an iPad. I't makes sense that the Zagg would use a keyboard icon instead. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts