What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emails to trash.

chillydoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
since updating to 8.01 & 8.02, I have 20 emails with the messages " Unable to move message" (to the Mailbox Trash). In settings, Deleted Mailbox is checked. I have rebooted & reset my iPad but to no avail. This problem only showed up since I updated to 8.01.

dgkoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Performed this twice and I still cannot move email messages to trash. What should I try next?
I am having the same problem...tried all above too. This has happened since the last update. Any more ideas?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem...tried all above too. This has happened since the last update. Any more ideas?
Have you considered deleting the email account from your iPad, then setting it up again.

dgkoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you considered deleting the email account from your iPad, then setting it up again.
Yes...as a last resort. I have about four email accounts set up on it. If there is no other options then I will thanks.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you now have a POP email account, consider converting to IMAP if that option is available. If it isn't, you can create an IMAP account in Gmail and forward all your POP email through it. If you do that, you'll also lose 99% of your spam.

dgkoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh nice...good idea. Some of my problems I have identified is that I just put the Outlook at on my iPhone to try it out. And I am finding now that if delete an email on my iPhone it deletes it on my iPad too. Which it doesn't do that if I just used the Mail App. Interesting! But I have yet to identify why some of my emails that I delete say they can't move it to trash. I have about four emails filtering thru the apps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
IMAP and Exchange (Outlook) accounts update on all devices. Or, more accurately, everything updates to the server and then syncs to all your devices.

The older POP3 accounts only download emails to the device. Depending on settings they can download all new emails to all device, or they can download to the first device and then delete them off the server. What never happens is for the device/computer change what's on the server and have that affect what's already on the other devices.

That almost makes it sound like POP3 is better, but you have to remember is that 'all' folder get synced with IMAP and Exchange. Even your Trash folder. So you can recover delete emails from any device, or file them away in folder on any device and then see them on any device.

However, if you mix POP3 and Exchange or IMAP, the results get very unpredictable. And that sounds like what you've got going on.

The Mail app will handle all three account types. If you are going to use the Outlook app on some devices and not others, you should make sure the account on the non-Outlook devices are also set up to use Exchange services. Or at least the same service for each account; since the Outlook app should also allow POP3 and IMAP accounts.

I heavily recommend using IMAP or Exchange. While it may mean learning a few different workflows for your email, in the end you have a lot more flexibility and security with these account types.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To expand a little bit: with an IMAP account, all the mail resides on the server, as twerppoet noted. Each device, whether an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC, can be considered a window into your account on the server. Messages reside temporarily on a device, for quick reference, but permanently on the server, unless you delete them manually. When you delete a message, it moves from an inbox to the trash, and your "view" from any device reflects that. You needn't worry about which device you use to read or delete a message, because everything is synched by the server.

Once you get used to the ease and convenience of IMAP, you'll wonder why you didn't switch sooner!

Kieran2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear chillydoc,
To clear messages(emails) press edit in your inbox then select the message(emails) you want to remove and press the RED delete button in the upper right hand corner within the email list (not the actual email you have in a larger display) hope I helped you chillydoc.

Kind Regards,
Kieran (This message was sent from a iPad Air)

Most reactions

Latest posts