What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email issues

Dritz4OSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use time warner roadrunner email. I cannot send email. I get a message saying that my from email address is invalid but there is nothing wrong with it.

Even though my email setting is delete upon download, roadrunner keeps downloading same emails, even if deleted from iPad inbox.

Help please!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use time warner roadrunner email. I cannot send email. I get a message saying that my from email address is invalid but there is nothing wrong with it.

Even though my email setting is delete upon download, roadrunner keeps downloading same emails, even if deleted from iPad inbox.

Help please!

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

Is this a new problem that you are having - not being able to send emails - or have you never been able to send them successfully? Are you sending from your home network or do you only experience this problem from a 'foreign' network? Do you know if your outgoing email settings are using Port 25 or are they set to use secure authentication - SSL - and the port number is set to something like 465? You can find all this information under 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Account' and then choose the account you're using. Obviously don't send details of the account name or any passwords.

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

Dritz4OSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I was traveling and was on foreign networks. I am now at home and I can once again send emails. Do you know why foreign networks cause the problem?

Steve

OP
D

Dritz4OSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received an email that I cannot delete. When I hit the trash icon, i get knocked out of email.

Thoughts on how to correct this problem?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I was traveling and was on foreign networks. I am now at home and I can once again send emails. Do you know why foreign networks cause the problem?

Steve

This is what is known as the Port 25 relay problem. In the early days of the Internet, the founders thought that, while it would be necessary to use a password to receive your email, there was no need for one to send it. Using the analogy with regular mail, you need a key or something to open your mail box to retrieve your mail, but you don't need any such device to send paper mail.

So the original mail protocol didn't require a password to send mail. We all lived in an innocent world then when no-one would have thought of trying to send an email - purporting to have come from you - but, in fact, originating from a fraudster or criminal.

On your home network there are passwords that you need to use to access your broadband so, when you're sending from your home network, your email service provider knows that it's you who are sending the email - or at least someone who's sending with your permission.

But when you're on a foreign network they have no idea who you are because you don't need a password to send email. As a result, most email service providers will not accept email on the 'old' mail protocol (called Port 25 because this is part of the 'address' that this old protocol used to send mail).

If you want to send mail on a foreign network you need to change your email settings to use the newer protocol which has a secure login. This uses something called SSL. If you go to your email settings, you can enable SSL - choose the user name to be your email address and the password to be whatever password you use to collect your mail. When you switch to SSL the iPad should automatically switch the port number from 25 - which you will have seen there before you switched to SSL - to something like 465 (there are others too, but not 25).

Hopefully that fixes the problem. SSL will work on your home and foreign networks, so you should be able to try it at home before venturing out again.

Sorry I took so long to reply - I'm on vacation at the moment and not checking into iPad Forums quite so often.

Tim

OP
D

Dritz4OSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for replying to my emails.

I do welcome your thoughts on how I can delete rogue emails from my inbox. When I hit trash icon or try to move to trash folder, I get kicked out of email.

Steve

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for replying to my emails.

I do welcome your thoughts on how I can delete rogue emails from my inbox. When I hit trash icon or try to move to trash folder, I get kicked out of email.

Steve

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

Dritz4OSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again!!!!

My iPad is behaving much better now.

Steve

Most reactions

Latest posts