What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

email accounts are mixed up and interacting - very dangerous

OP
R

Runuplandsgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your knowledge is priceless thank you

The logical explanation would be that those emails are fetched from another device or computer. The fact that you see it on the iPad does not mean that the iPad is guilty of anything.

To have an email appearing in the "sent" folder of the Yahoo account from your business account would mean that this email was capture at some point somewhere else, redirected to his yahoo account and moved into his sent folder. Without the header's email, it's hard to figure the path used by this email. But each email has a detailed header showing the full path used to reach the destination. This is probably where the answer lies.

The only way I can see that your business email was sent from "Business" to "Colleague", and showing up in "Yahoo" to "Colleague" in the Yahoo sent folder would be that the email was fetched and copied from the Business "Sent" folder to the Yahoo "Sent" folder. Still not explaining why the sender was the Yahoo account and not yours. Is it that Yahoo is defaulting to his own account for anything in the "Sent" folder or was the email resent by some means...

Feels like a virus is doing this on another computer or you are being spied by your husband.

Do a test email that is redirected to the yahoo account, and send me the redirected email as attachment here in private message, I'll check it out if you want

No husband not spying, he is totally non-technical. And when I say I sent emails which I didn't want him to see, they
were just very personal from a friend to a friend, things I didn't want him to be party to, it did cause me stress and it did cause some discussions ... but that's not the issue.

firstly this doesn't happen all the time which is strange, so probably not sure I can demonstrate it again ...?
I have logged into msn and my work email account via safari many many times and it's just been these two episodes
where things have gone awry and being sent from the default yahoo account
I am not technical minded enough to follow; I guess my questions now are - is this something which is just expected, partof the iPad/apple/ email process so cannot trust to send private, personal emails or
Is there a fault/virus? - is there anything I should, or could do to rectify the problem,

I will email you the redirected email. It doesn't show my work email address just coming from my husbands yahoo
account, I can't see the header or pathway as you describe.

i appreciate your offer of help, thank you. I am just going to log off the iPad now which I am working on and use the my pc, should be easier to either forward or cut and paste message to you.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok think I am getting it, but it doesn't happen all the time. I have used MSN for over a year and it happened that one time and again 4 months later with my work email. I take your point - a personal device. I won't be using it again.
Not a good selling point for Apple .... No privacy or confidentiality.

Ah well, technology/Apple can only get better, improve on things in the future hopefully.

It doesn't happen all the time because it's a tech glitch, probably tied to a cache prob that you can't do anything about. That seems to be a prob on many mobile devices (not just Apple's, and it happens enough that some complaints pop up on a Google search). Boils down to: It's happened to you and could happen again, so if you want to maintain privacy, use a private mobile device or use a PC or laptop that allows you to log on under a separate user profile.

Dr. House initially missed that you'd logged in and sent email via Safari. He was talking about using multiple email accounts on the native iPad email app, which wouldn't help you, because there's absolutely no privacy that way on a shared iPad because of what I mentioned -- no individual user profile logons, as with a PC or laptop.

OP
R

Runuplandsgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't happen all the time because it's a tech glitch, probably tied to a cache prob that you can't do anything about. That seems to be a prob on many mobile devices (not just Apple's, and it happens enough that some complaints pop up on a Google search). Boils down to: It's happened to you and could happen again, so if you want to maintain privacy, use a private mobile device or use a PC or laptop that allows you to log on under a separate user profile.

Dr. House initially missed that you'd logged in and sent email via Safari. He was talking about using multiple email accounts on the native iPad email app, which wouldn't help you, because there's absolutely no privacy that way on a shared iPad because of what I mentioned -- no individual user profile logons, as with a PC or laptop.

Ok think I am finally getting .... That is what comes from using technology that you don't really understand how it works.
I will not be sending anything which is not for family consumption again.

Thank you Everyone for your help and advice.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
It occurred to me that the issue could be triggered in a simpler way than viruses and advance mumbo-jumbo... Could it be possible that when you were writing a new email, you started by clicking on the contact in your contact list instead of creating a new email and adding your destination address manually?

The thing I'm thinking is that you may have clicked on the contact name or more obviously on the email address of your contact. This would popup the native mail app to send your email automatically. If you were not paying attention or were in a hurry, you may have not realized that the email editor was the native app instead of the web mail editor and thus, you used your husband account instead of your own to send the message.

That could explain why your msn email did not get delivered (assuming it was the right address). Often, an email link on a web page looks like "mailto:[email protected]". But some mail services can add some extra data like "mailto:Joe Blo <[email protected]>". And this format may not be understood correctly by some mail app or mail service provider. I haven't tested the case, so don't take my word for it...

Anyway, it's the most probable scenario that would explain your issues. It would be consistent with the fact that this is happening randomly and not often...

I love puzzles!

OP
R

Runuplandsgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi doc read both messages, thank you.

No husbands yahoo via native app on iPad always open - my msn always via safari so no mix with contacts. Although just had a thought in all instances where error occurred I wasn't replying to an email but typing in addresses - maybe that causes the system to look
elsewhere.

I understand what you are saying about us both working via safari to stop the problem.

I seem to have learnt something, thanks.

Most reactions