What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

edit contact list -email

worried

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have conected to e.mail -using Mail Contacts and Calendars via SETTINGS.
Please could you advise me how I can edit the Contact list as there are changes that i need to make to address of one contact and delete another contact.
help Please.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Change your contacts in the Address Book on the iPad.

Or go to the computer or web service you sync with and change it there.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to the iPad 'Home' screen you'll see the 'Contacts' app there. Open the app and you'll see a list of your contacts. They're listed alphabetically and you can jump to a specific letter of the alphabet by touching that letter.

So, if you had a contact 'Mum', then you could touch the 'M' letter on the left hand side of the screen and the Contacts app will jump to display all your contacts starting with the letter 'M'. Of course, 'Mum' might not be the only contact you have starting with an 'M', so you'll need to look for 'Mum' in the list on the left hand page of the Contacts book (you might need to scroll up and down if you've lots of Contacts). Once you find 'Mum', touch the name and the details will appear on the right hand page of the Contacts book. Now touch the 'Edit' button that appears at the bottom of the right hand page. Make the changes you want and then press 'Done' (top right hand side of the page) or 'Cancel' (top left hand side of the page).

You can create new Contacts using the '+' sign that's at the bottom of the left-hand page. Contacts can display 'Groups' of contacts that might have been imported/sync'd from a PC or Mac but it cannot create them. If you need to create a Group there are a number of third-party apps that can do this - in my opinion the best is MailShot.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
(sigh) I keep getting Contacts on the iPad and Address Book on the iMac mixed up. I blame the icons. They are both brown.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I shouldn't really be allowed to be a Forum member as I don't have a Mac (yet!).....

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not keeping count, but I'm pretty sure that half or more of the forum members don't have Macs. Which is good. It means we have a broad experience base for problem solving.

OP
W

worried

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to the iPad 'Home' screen you'll see the 'Contacts' app there. Open the app and you'll see a list of your contacts. They're listed alphabetically and you can jump to a specific letter of the alphabet by touching that letter.

So, if you had a contact 'Mum', then you could touch the 'M' letter on the left hand side of the screen and the Contacts app will jump to display all your contacts starting with the letter 'M'. Of course, 'Mum' might not be the only contact you have starting with an 'M', so you'll need to look for 'Mum' in the list on the left hand page of the Contacts book (you might need to scroll up and down if you've lots of Contacts). Once you find 'Mum', touch the name and the details will appear on the right hand page of the Contacts book. Now touch the 'Edit' button that appears at the bottom of the right hand page. Make the changes you want and then press 'Done' (top right hand side of the page) or 'Cancel' (top left hand side of the page).

You can create new Contacts using the '+' sign that's at the bottom of the left-hand page. Contacts can display 'Groups' of contacts that might have been imported/sync'd from a PC or Mac but it cannot create them. If you need to create a Group there are a number of third-party apps that can do this - in my opinion the best is MailShot.

Tim
Scotland
The "contacts" i am talking about seem to be added by the mail on ipad. they do not appear on Home page contacts , webb mail contacts or Outlook contacts. When I replied to Epson using the ipad the person was saved as a "contact" .I am at a loss how I can remove these as I do not require them again.Grateful for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did everything I could think of.

Lots of tapping, swiping, holding in Mail app looking for a way to remove it.
Erased all emails in all folders with address in it.
Reset keyboard dictionary. (didn't believe that would work anyway)
After these I turned iPad off then on
Even did a soft reset for good measure.
Disable and re-enable my primary email account.

All to no avail. The Mail app insists on helping me remember the bogus address I set up to test with.

The next steps would be to completely remove all my email accounts, soft reset, and then add them again. A restore would be certain to work, but I've done all I'm willing to do just to get rid of an unwanted reminder.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I have this problem too. Sorry I misunderstood your original question. I can see that twerppoet has done a comprehensive investigation, so I'm not hopeful. Clearly a market opportunity for a new app. This problem is going to annoy me all day - I have a feeling there must be a solution, but I'm just too stupid to discover it.

Tim
Scotland

OP
W

worried

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did everything I could think of.

Lots of tapping, swiping, holding in Mail app looking for a way to remove it.
Erased all emails in all folders with address in it.
Reset keyboard dictionary. (didn't believe that would work anyway)
After these I turned iPad off then on
Even did a soft reset for good measure.
Disable and re-enable my primary email account.

All to no avail. The Mail app insists on helping me remember the bogus address I set up to test with.

The next steps would be to completely remove all my email accounts, soft reset, and then add them again. A restore would be certain to work, but I've done all I'm willing to do just to get rid of an unwanted reminder.
Thanks for trying. It is frustrating and like you I do not want to do a restore, will have to live with it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked around a bit myself and have been driving myself crazy. It appears that the Mac email app maintains a 'recent recipients' file, but that there is the option to delete it.

As twerppoet has discovered, there doesn't seem to be such a facility on the iPad to delete this file. But, surely, the size of the recent recipients file must be limited? Won't these spurious email addresses eventually 'drop off the end' of the file?

The search goes on

Tim
Scotland

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland

Tim,
My email synched fine on my iPad, but it didn't automatically sync my Outlook contacts. Any suggestions? Thanks, Julie

Most reactions

Latest posts