What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Book Sales Soar as Traditional Book Sales Decline

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gazzaho said:
Do some reading on the subject, there was a CME occurrence reported in, if I can remember, 1959 or so and it caused barb wire fences and telegraph wires to heat up so much they caused fires on farms and offices in both the USA and the UK among other places, back then we were less reliant on computers and the like so it didn't have as great an impact as it would today, it really depends how big the CME is. I believe batteries would also be affected.

I have done some reading on it and also watched some documentaries but seriously, think about it, if it we experience a CME on that scale I think books (or ebooks) will be the last of our worries. Also, from the interviews with scientists that I have seen the jury is still out on magnitude and effect especially with modern power infrastructure having very clever management systems.

But if you are right and the day of judgement is coming then I'll come back on here and eat my words........oh, no, no I won't will I!

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I have done some reading on it and also watched some documentaries but seriously, think about it, if it we experience a CME on that scale I think books (or ebooks) will be the last of our worries. Also, from the interviews with scientists that I have seen the jury is still out on magnitude and effect especially with modern power infrastructure having very clever management systems.

But if you are right and the day of judgement is coming then I'll come back on here and eat my words........oh, no, no I won't will I!

The Archangel

You will be dead you dipstick

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:

The Archangel

You will be dead you dipstick

LOL Im not the least scared . Let the scientist worry, the more you worry the more you wont enjoy this life you have right now.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
j0yful said:
LOL Im not the least scared . Let the scientist worry, the more you worry the more you wont enjoy this life you have right now.

You got that right. If i had to worry about everything, I may as well be dead.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You said that right Hayles, as a mother a wife and a WOMAN. who cares about that?!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why not?! if half of the genders doesnt then the other should. ;)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget guys, in 1999 the scientists were telling us that on new years eve all the planes would fall out of the sky, computer systems around the world would become inoperable, patients in hospitals would die due to failures......governments and many others believed this rubbish.

This is typical scare mongering.

The Archangel

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget guys, in 1999 the scientists were telling us that on new years eve all the planes would fall out of the sky, computer systems around the world would become inoperable, patients in hospitals would die due to failures......governments and many others believed this rubbish.

This is typical scare mongering.

The Archangel

i remember that, millenium bug something. people were saying we have to adjust our pc's date to turn it backwards. lol hilarious! look where we are now?!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j0yful said:
i remember that, millenium bug something. people were saying we have to adjust our pc's date to turn it backwards. lol hilarious! look where we are now?!

Exactly.......really, if we were likely to end up in the dark ages in the next 48 months don't you think that a few more people might of heard about it, that the web would be going crazy about it, reporters would be constantly in the face of politicians demanding answers?

I am aware of the effect that is being posted about and I have watched the odd programme about it but none of them suggested a future such as suggested by the poster.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Exactly.......really, if we were likely to end up in the dark ages in the next 48 months don't you think that a few more people might of heard about it, that the web would be going crazy about it, reporters would be constantly in the face of politicians demanding answers?

I am aware of the effect that is being posted about and I have watched the odd programme about it but none of them suggested a future such as suggested by the poster.

The Archangel

Well said.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This topic is spiralling out of control, I've already stated I'm not scare mongering or suggesting the worst case scenario is about to happen, other than to point out that a bigger than usual CME is as NASA claims going to hit in the next few years. I just mentioned it as a way of explaining how fragile electronic storage is, as opposed to written word in the form of paper and ink, or for that matter written in stone.

How much information stored in electronic form will be around 100 years from now? I can't even access data stored on CD's I burned 10 years ago.

I suggest we leave the debate for the experts for now, and hope the effects are less than some suggest.

Most reactions

Latest posts