What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVDs to IPad?

kbear52508

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to get my DVDs copied to my IPad? In looking online, it seems like I need some sort of conversion program. Do they really work?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
kbear52508 said:
Is it possible to get my DVDs copied to my IPad? In looking online, it seems like I need some sort of conversion program. Do they really work?

DVD rippers have been around for a while now, just make sure you rip the DVD to mp4, or a format that the video program that you are using will play

OP
K

kbear52508

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. Now I'm going to express my ignorance.... I have an IPad - older model and a PC and am near illiterate to both. I want to put some of my old movies on the IPad. There are a ton of programs out there that you can download.... I want something that is dummy proof - kind of a push a button and it does it for you without a lot of decisions on independent settings that I would need to make. Goals are simply getting the dvd on the IPad, saving space to the extent that is possible and having good video and audio quality on the DVD that I put on the IPad...

Help???

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
kbear52508 said:
Thank you for your replies. Now I'm going to express my ignorance.... I have an IPad - older model and a PC and am near illiterate to both. I want to put some of my old movies on the IPad. There are a ton of programs out there that you can download.... I want something that is dummy proof - kind of a push a button and it does it for you without a lot of decisions on independent settings that I would need to make. Goals are simply getting the dvd on the IPad, saving space to the extent that is possible and having good video and audio quality on the DVD that I put on the IPad...

Help???

Might be worth reading

http://www.dvdtoipad.co.uk/

lelkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I´m using Handbrake, but having problems with brightness. The converted “movie†is to dark.
Tomorrow I´ll try the iPad Converter Suite
I´ll tell you if it does a better jobb
//Peter from Sweden, Europe

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Handbrake on both win7 and OSX to convert for the iPad and really rate the program. Especially when you can line up six or seven and just leave it running in the background.
That said I also stream a lot of videos from my machines to the iPad with on the fly conversion. Since ZumoCast is currently unavailable, AirVideo is a good alternative.
Sure saves storage on the iPad.

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using Xilisoft for years now, they have really improved their encoding software for all the new i devices thats out. There is a trial version to test before you purchase. The speed and encoding quality is awesome..

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a fan of the Slysoft programs ANYDVD and CloneDVDMobile. They are very straightforward and I have fantastic results.

But they have gotten a bit expensive.

DrJNAB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aneesoft products are also excellent and easy to use. DrJNAB

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like you, I am a real novice. What I need is an idiots guide! I've tried downloading handbrake, but I just don't understand how it works. Any chance of a step by step guide anywhere?

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like you, I am a real novice. What I need is an idiots guide! I've tried downloading handbrake, but I just don't understand how it works. Any chance of a step by step guide anywhere?
Hi Ruthie, it's quite a bit of explaining the whole procedure of using handbrake. Please follow full instructions at the following link:
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here is a quick guide using something free.

Slysofts products have a 30 day full-function trial.

Download ANYDVD and CloneDVDMobile.

Install ANYDVD. It runs in the background.
Install CloneDVDMobile.

Insert the DVD you want to copy. ANYDVD will take about ten seconds to remove the protection. This is invisible, you don't have to do anything.

Run CloneDVDMobile.

Choose iPod. Then choose iPod Touch. Click next.

On the next screen at the top select your DVD drive.

At this point you can just hit NEXT on each of the screens. The default selections will be good enough to get you a movie rip. I suggest on the third or so page looking at the directory where it will put your finished file. :)

You can also look around and see if there are any things you want to change but remember that you don't have to change ANYTHING to get your movie done. Just keep hitting NEXT until you see a bar graph progressing across the screen.

Depending on your PC it will take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours to rip the movie.

Then go to the directory where it put the file and drag it into your iTunes.

Good luck!

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrJNAB said:
Aneesoft products are also excellent and easy to use. DrJNAB

I bit the bullet and paid $34 for Aunsofts media converter and I could not be happier. I actually purchased the software for working with I movie and my HD camcorder but it works great for iPad conversions as well. And yes, I have tried and even paid for most of the other media converters and this one is the best.

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using Xilisoft for years now, they have really improved their encoding software for all the new i devices thats out. There is a trial version to test before you purchase. The speed and encoding quality is awesome..

Thanks for this recommendation. I just did the trial and was impressed so went ahead and purchased the license.

Most reactions