What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ripping DVDs with Handbrake

MikeD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad and an iPhone 4, and a large collection of DVDs. What preset should I choose to rip the DVDs in a format that will be compatible with both my iPad and my iPhone 4, and will be the best video quality possible? Thanks.

Jake872

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the Apple TV preset works with iPads but I'm not sure about the iPhone 4. Can anyone confirm the Apple TV preset works with iPhone 4?

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've spent all day today feeding DVDs in to my pc and putting them through Handbrake. I had lots of family footage that I had transferred from our first antique camcorder onto our pvr and from there on to disc. I used the regular setting in Handbrake, and they play perfectly on my iPad.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
graywolf said:
No. Mp4 will work, but there are different types. iPad uses a different codec than the iPhone 4.

Actually, they use the same codecs, but its in the encoding parameters that you can tweak for one device or another. Using Handbreak, I simply use the default preset as it works well with all my iOS devices.

The MP4 has to use H264/MP4 for video and AAC for audio. MJPEG seems to be supported in AVI format also...

See this link for details: http://www.ifunia.com/ipad-column/ipad-supported-video-and-audio-formats.html

VicoPad addict!

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can also get an app like AVPlayer HD not have to worry about the format if you want to make life a little easier.

Most reactions