What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb Synching question

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have two seperate iPads. My wife does not want the same books as I have. How can I have seperate books on both ipads and not loose them everytime I synch? Right now I added some books to my wifes and lost all of mine in iTunes, so now I have to go redo all my books. Very frustrating. Thanks for any help.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plug your ipads in and go to each tab in iTunes and turn off syncing as necessary.

You can have full manual control over iTunes' behavior for all devices which sync to it.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should also be able to log into the computer under different logins and have separate iTunes setups

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You should also be able to log into the computer under different logins and have separate iTunes setups

There is really absolutely no need to to do this, it just makes it more complicated than it needs to be. As KevinJS says, each device can have its own sync settings, its not difficult to manage.

I have 3 iphones, 2 ipads and 4 ipods all syncing to the same library and they all have different sync settings.

OP
psmoore

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is really absolutely no need to to do this, it just makes it more complicated than it needs to be. As KevinJS says, each device can have its own sync settings, its not difficult to manage.

I have 3 iphones, 2 ipads and 4 ipods all syncing to the same library and they all have different sync settings.

But the problem with that is, as soon as I click books to transfer from my library to iBooks, it automatically adds to sync selected books.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go into the menu system of iTunes and select from Preferences "Prevent iPods (etc) from automatically syncing".

At least I think that's where it is. That will give you time to sort out your controls.

If you have iTunes 11 on a PC, and can't see the menus, hit Alt and they will appear.

OP
psmoore

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess maybe I'm just a moron, but I used File - add folder and added all my books. Then connected my ipad and slected the books I wanted and hit Sync, and it only added about 10 of the books (maybe 100 books). iBooks has been doing this to me ever since I started using it. I'm going to Stanza. And will leave iBooks on my wifes. It's just too much of a pain in the back side.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DefBref said:

I thought their request was to be able to sync different books. Yes, you can set up different sync settings, but you can't sync different libraries of books that way (well, not that I can figure how)

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You plug the device in to itunes, go to the device within itunes (button at top right in itunes 11), then the books section. Tick sync books and then selected books and choose the books you want in the list below. Do this for each device and you can select different books on each device.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DefBref said:
You plug the device in to itunes, go to the device within itunes (button at top right in itunes 11), then the books section. Tick sync books and then selected books and choose the books you want in the list below. Do this for each device and you can select different books on each device.

Awesome! thanks for the tip :)

OP
psmoore

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I do that, and only a tenth of the books I selected are loaded. Then when I eject and plug in my wifes ipad, i goto device and then books in the center at the top in iTunes it shows the same books. I must be really confused! I appreciate all the help.

Now today I did load all the books without an iPad attached. Just used File - Loaded Folder to Library. Where before I was trying to load books through eCalibre. Not sure if that had something to do with it, but ran out of time to continue due to work. I'll have to try again more tomorrow before work or on Monday and Tuesday on my days off.

OP
psmoore

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thing.. do I need to be signed into iTunes with each account (I have one and my wife has a separate one)?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
psmoore said:
One more thing.. do I need to be signed into iTunes with each account (I have one and my wife has a separate one)?

Yes, when syncing, you have to be signed into the correct iTunes account.

OP
psmoore

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I got all the books into Itunes and appropriate books to the right ipads. I am thinking that it had something to do with the way I was sending the books to the ipad through ecalibre. From now on, I will just add files to iTunes library and then check and uncheck as necessary. thanks for all the help.

On a side note, I did not sign in to iTunes before doing any of this today and it seems to have worked. Will try to resync everything again tomorrow and see if it all holds.

Most reactions

Latest posts