What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop Box not working suddenly

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have always been able to get any books in my husbands computer drop box,to come up immediately in my iPad drop box.
Now ,will not bring up any stuff. What did I do wrong? Or....??
Doris 9

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If none of the contents in Dropbox are showing, it may be that the password has been changed or the account has been deactivated. Possibly sign off of the Dropbox account and sign-in again, which can resolve the issue if it's a cache issue.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If still no joy after trying willersz2' good advice try these steps.

Close your Dropbox app completely and then relaunch it.....
IOS6 or earlier - do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom....press on any app and red minus signs will appear....press on the minus sign for Dropbox to close it completely
IOS7 - once you have revealed your multi task bar, just swipe up on the thumbnail you see above the app icon to close it.

Restart - Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Do each step and then see if this has solved the problem....I hope it helps, please let us know if it does.

Ve7mgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drop box not working

If still no joy after trying willersz2' good advice try these steps.

Close your Dropbox app completely and then relaunch it.....
IOS6 or earlier - do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom....press on any app and red minus signs will appear....press on the minus sign for Dropbox to close it completely
IOS7 - once you have revealed your multi task bar, just swipe up on the thumbnail you see above the app icon to close it.

Restart - Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Do each step and then see if this has solved the problem....I hope it helps, please let us know if it does.

Thanks fellows,none of the suggestions worked though. I do have a list of items on the left side ,just discovered I can
Bring up PDF s and HTML s but all the books are epubs and I get a big question mark on the right side plus a cannot open. However I can no longer transfer books from computer drop box to my iPad drop box -they don't appear at all . I don't see anything wrong in my settings,at least I have not changed anything ?
Just seems like my iPad doesn't "see" the computer at all. Even tried connecting them with the cable but still no joy.
Any other suggestions I might try? Thanks for helping me.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fellows,none of the suggestions worked though. I do have a list of items on the left side ,just discovered I can Bring up PDF s and HTML s but all the books are epubs and I get a big question mark on the right side plus a cannot open. However I can no longer transfer books from computer drop box to my iPad drop box -they don't appear at all . I don't see anything wrong in my settings,at least I have not changed anything ? Just seems like my iPad doesn't "see" the computer at all. Even tried connecting them with the cable but still no joy. Any other suggestions I might try? Thanks for helping me.
Dropbox doesn't open epub books. It's also explained in the Help section of the app:

image-3043807889.jpg

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have always been able to get any books in my husbands computer drop box,to come up immediately in my iPad drop box.
Now ,will not bring up any stuff. What did I do wrong? Or....??
Doris 9

When you speak of your husband's computer Dropbox, you mean a Dropbox account he has on his computer, correct? Then, you have the Dropbox app on your iPad. In the past, whatever was placed into the Dropbox streamer on the computer was instantly viewable on the iPad (via the Dropbox app)?

There are only two ways to use Dropbox with the PC and the iPad: (1) You are using the same Dropbox account on the PC and the app - you are logged in with the same UserID and password on both devices. Or,

(2) the Dropbox account on the PC, if a different account from the one on the iPad, has an authorized folder on the account. That folder, when accessed, can be shared between Dropbox accounts. So, if your account on the iPad is different from that on the PC, you can share/view that account (and that one only).

Given all that, have you double checked to make sure that either the account on the iPad is the same as the account on the PC or that the shared folder is still good? There is an access problem here and I'm pretty sure it's because someone is not logged into Dropbox properly.

Marilyn

P.S. And yes, Dropbox cannot view .epub files. However, if you press the up arrow icon at the top right, you should get the "Open In" pop up that will allow you to open an app that can read .ePub files. You should see something like this:

myse9y6u.jpg

Ve7mgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Marilyn
That is exactly how I have been using it. But I turned it off completely an hour or so just now and when I turned it on Drop box was working just as always! Didn't do anything to it nor change anything! Now I will never know why it freaked out. I sure hope it stays on.
Thank you all for taking time to help me. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Marilyn
That is exactly how I have been using it. But I turned it off completely an hour or so just now and when I turned it on Drop box was working just as always! Didn't do anything to it nor change anything! Now I will never know why it freaked out. I sure hope it stays on.
Thank you all for taking time to help me. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Well that's great to hear it's now working again.....thanks for letting us know.

And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours also!

Most reactions

Latest posts