What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading Videos off Sd Card

Solo2121

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I'm trying to download videos off my SD card straight to my Ipad2. The videos are in .avi and .asf formats. I know the iPad playes in .mp4 formats but I can't get it to play my videos. Is there an App or something I can do to download these without using a Mac. Thank you!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

Well, you're asking several questions; first, below are the video formats supported by the iPad2 (information from the Apple Support forum) - the .avi video format is supported but not .asf; thus you will need to convert the latter into a supported format. There have been plenty of discussion on the forum concerning video format conversion, so some searching may be quite helpful; also, a google search will produce plenty of options regarding conversion software.

Second, I'm not sure how you want to use your SD card? The CCK (Camera Connection Kit) will allow usage of a digital camera's SD card (which has to be formatted correctly and contain a DCIM folder) - a regular SD card w/ your non-image files will not work in the CCK. There are certainly other choices, both wired and wireless, in getting images/videos onto your iPad2. Good luck and please post back w/ any further questions!

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

nyc2sd30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually download the movie to my hard drive and convert it to mp4 using handbrake then load into iTunes to sync.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

Solo2121

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tks for the info. I have security cameras that take videos and places them onto a sd card. I was looking for an App or some how to take the videos straight off the sd card with the CCK and place them on my Ipad2. They are in .ASF and Adobe format. Without having to put them onto a computer 1st. I know there's software for my Mac to convert the format but trying to bypass the Mac altogether! Thanks again for any info.

Most reactions

Latest posts