What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading pdf books from PC onto ipad?

Barders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am afraid I am not very IT literate!

I am thinking about buying a ipad, I have never bought anything like this before, I don't have a iphone or ro smartphone either, so sorry for the question if it stupid.

I have a PC with a Vista OS and I can't afford to change to an MAC until next year. One of the reasons I would like the ipad if to be able to read my ebooks away from sitting at my PC.

I have quite a few ebooks in pdf format with lots of photos in them, can I transfer them to the ipad from a PC please?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am afraid I am not very IT literate!

I am thinking about buying a ipad, I have never bought anything like this before, I don't have a iphone or ro smartphone either, so sorry for the question if it stupid.

I have a PC with a Vista OS and I can't afford to change to an MAC until next year. One of the reasons I would like the ipad if to be able to read my ebooks away from sitting at my PC.

I have quite a few ebooks in pdf format with lots of photos in them, can I transfer them to the ipad from a PC please?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Absolutely - the iPad reads PDF format documents in its native iBooks app - and includes search facilities and bookmark capability.

Getting the books from your PC to the iPad is not a problem either and there are a number of ways that you can do this, so no worries here either.

There are some other third-party apps, too, that can read other formats of book - such as the Kindle app for the iPad (the app is free but, of course, you have to pay for the books - except for the free ones!).

I hope you enjoy your iPad and stay with the Forum...

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

Barders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank You for your advice Tim, that is really helpful!!

If I can just ask one more thing please, I am not sure what size to get and if I need 3g or not, as I am not sure what it is?

I am a photographer in the making! and would hope to use the ipad to show prospective clients a portfolio of my images in the future but don't down load things like music and videos.

I would like GB's to be able to read my ebooks and how photos etc, but am hoping to get a iphone and imac next year so would do internet stuff with that I would imagine? I don't want to spend more money than necessary but don't want to waste my money by not buying one with enough capacity for what I need.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense!

Many thanks again for your response.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Barders said:
Thank You for your advice Tim, that is really helpful!!

If I can just ask one more thing please, I am not sure what size to get and if I need 3g or not, as I am not sure what it is?

I am a photographer in the making! and would hope to use the ipad to show prospective clients a portfolio of my images in the future but don't down load things like music and videos.

I would like GB's to be able to read my ebooks and how photos etc, but am hoping to get a iphone and imac next year so would do internet stuff with that I would imagine? I don't want to spend more money than necessary but don't want to waste my money by not buying one with enough capacity for what I need.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense!

Many thanks again for your response.

Hi and welcome to the forum, in response to your question about capacity, and due to the fact that you want to use space for books and photos ( as I do too) I recommend you opt for 32gb minimum, and 64 gb if pennies allow.

3G Works like a mobile phone with a sim card, and allows you to connect to the Internet whilst you are out and about....Anywhere you can get a signal in fact. You say you have a PC, so I am assuming that you have an Internet connection? Is this broadband? And do you have wireless as part of your PC setup, first thoughts would indicate that you probably don't need the 3G feature, but may need to have a wireless router installed at home. ( this is a fairly cheap and easy process) I hope this helps! :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
B

Barders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

That's great many thanks for your advice. I think it will have to be the 32gb as I am also trying to save for an imac as well!

I do have wi-fi in the house and I think you are right I probably won't need the internet on the go for what I want it for, so that should be fine.

Looking forward to making my purchase and getting started:D

Thanks again Jeff.

Lynne

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Barders said:
Hi Jeff,

That's great many thanks for your advice. I think it will have to be the 32gb as I am also trying to save for an imac as well!

I do have wi-fi in the house and I think you are right I probably won't need the internet on the go for what I want it for, so that should be fine.

Looking forward to making my purchase and getting started:D

Thanks again Jeff.

Lynne

Great, let us know how you get on:)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
B

Barders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cables for PC to ipad2 transfer of pdf files?

Hi, thanks again to everyone for their recent help.

I am hoping to buy the ipads next week and wondered if I needed to buy a cable as well to connect the ipad to my PC to be able to transfer the files please?

Many thanks in advance.

Lynne

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Barders said:
Hi, thanks again to everyone for their recent help.

I am hoping to buy the ipads next week and wondered if I needed to buy a cable as well to connect the ipad to my PC to be able to transfer the files please?

Many thanks in advance.

Lynne

Comes with a usb cable and charger.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts