What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading free book - where does it go?

Reaction score
Apologies for is probably a silly question, but where do e-books downloaded from the internet go? I can't find the only one I've tried.

I don't mean through Amazon/Kindle, I have the app and that works fine, and I've got to grips with audiobooks from iTunes to ipad mini. This is different.

I saw an interesting free book on line, and clicked 'download'. When I closed the page and looked at the device I realised I didn't have a clue where it had gone. I know I should have thought of that before I clicked on download, but you live and learn.

Can anyone help? Thanks for reading anyway

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Generally each publisher: Amazon, Apple, etc have their own reader apps. If you use that app, it will save the book in its library. Free books are often out of copyright and are available for free from nearly all the different publishers. FWIW I have 3 readers on my ipad: the Kindle reader app, the ibooks reader app and the Overdrive reader app that I use to borrow free ebooks from my local libaray. iPads make great readers!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With an ebook like this, it's not actually installed on your device until it's opened in a compatible reader app. When you closed the page without specifying where to open the ebook, it's gone from your iPad. Try downloading it again and after the download is complete, tap the top left corner of the screen. You should then see an "open in" pop up menu that offers choices where to open the book. If you have iBooks installed, tap on open in iBooks. Then when you go to the iBooks app your ebook should be waiting for you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks! Since posting that I've been looking through this forum again and realise you are right - it has to 'link' to somewhere. I have the iBooks App and the Kindle App and vaguely imagined there was somewhere else on the iPad for one off downloads, but there isn't.
This wasn't from a normal publisher or book site, it's a PDF book on line allied to a blog about who wrote Shakespeare - I'll download to the desktop instead.
Wonder if Will would be remembered if all his work was just a blog?
Thanks again

Ps - this was in reply to the first answer; Thank you both, I'll give the 2nd idea a go

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you so both so much, especially the step by step guide from scifan57 (you know amateurs when you see them, don't you)
Shakespeare Bites Back now sitting in my iBooks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so both so much, especially the step by step guide from scifan57 (you know amateurs when you see them, don't you) Shakespeare Bites Back now sitting in my iBooks!
thanks for letting us know of your successful ebook download, it may help the next person with your problem.

One thing to remember, we're all beginners when we get our first iPad.

Last edited:

Most reactions