What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sideloading certain files to ipad

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Altho in the thread about getting library books onto my ipad I state I've done that and magazines as well and all works fine. Now I have hit a book I don't know how to download. Certain publishers like Penguin will only let you down Kindle books to ur PC. The borrowing process goes like this: u borrow book from the library and it sends it to your Amazon acct. For most books you then select 'download to my ipad' (or other device). But for these books you can only choose 'download and transfer by usb'. If I want to read it on my Kindle Fire I drag the book from the pc to the appropriate document folder on the Fire and I have it. BUT since the ipad only shows the photos folders and no document or book file there is no where to drag the book.

So guess you can't borrow these books OR does someone have a solution?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Altho in the thread about getting library books onto my ipad I state I've done that and magazines as well and all works fine. Now I have hit a book I don't know how to download. Certain publishers like Penguin will only let you down Kindle books to ur PC. The borrowing process goes like this: u borrow book from the library and it sends it to your Amazon acct. For most books you then select 'download to my ipad' (or other device). But for these books you can only choose 'download and transfer by usb'. If I want to read it on my Kindle Fire I drag the book from the pc to the appropriate document folder on the Fire and I have it. BUT since the ipad only shows the photos folders and no document or book file there is no where to drag the book.

So guess you can't borrow these books OR does someone have a solution?

To transfer by USB for the iPad, you use iTunes. When you connect the iPad to iTunes, go to the Apps tab (at the top of the iTunes screen). Then, scroll down to the bottom of that page/tab. You should see a box of apps that accept "sideloading" and one of the apps, hopefully, should be the Kindle app. That's where you should "drag and drop" that downloaded book.

Or - correct me if I am wrong (anybody), but can't you also go to your Amazon book account via the Kindle app and download the book from there? I've not tried this, myself, but I believe that's one of the touted features/benefits of borrowing Kindle books from the library - they are there in the cloud for the duration of your borrow time.

Regardless, I jope some of this is of help to you. Please let us know if it is or if you need more assistance.

Marilyn

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn Thanks, that should work BUT IT DOESN'T.

When you are in Amazon and click download via USB you need also to tell it which device it will be used on. ONLY my kindle reader is active: iphone and ipad are grayed out. So while I can download and drag it to the ipad and sync it as you suggested, it does not appear on the ipad.

Nasty nasty people at Apple.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts