What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does retina display harm your eyes?

nickul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm.. perhaps you guys are right, i do use the maximum brightness all the time.. will test to see!

Nevertheless, debate is good, as there are still many people experiencing issues, and high brightness was here long before high res display, yet many have started complaining after they started using such screens.

:p :))

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was not meant to be a joke, it happens to me every time when using my iphone for ~20 or more minutes, after which my vision is so very blurred that i almost can't use the normal desktop monitor until my vision gradually gets back to normal, over 10-15 minutes.. I tried holding the phone further or closer, it still happens.

Like i said, it is a bit of a wild theory, only backed by what we learned in school about the eye's properties.
Sadly the straining effect is also backed by many other posts on different websites, where lots of people report they started having eye problems after starting using retina monitors or tablets. It is true that there are also other people saying it is actually better for the eyes, i am not sure each in what percentage, but there seamed to be a lot of people With problems. Check out also this thread on apple forums:
[Update: links not allowed, so you can search for the name of the thread: "Retina Display MacBook Pro eye problem and strain"]

Sorry if I seamed a bit too sure on what i was saying in the first post, I don't want to be an alarmist, but it is better that to check on these things and find that it's all b.s., rather than duck up our eyes for good..

I rolled my eyes, and no problem, lol.

I lean toward fact over wild theories. Apple has sold millions upon millions of retina screen devices since iPhone 4. Yes, iPhone 4 -- phones from two generations ago. And it's sold millions upon millions of iPads with retina screen since iPad 3, also two generations ago.

I'm not disputing the problems you have with your eyes. It seems like you have a problem that millions upon millions don't, so that suggests that the problem is with your eyes, not the devices. Or it's your choice of brightness, which seems unnecessarily high. I never use full brightness unless in full sun, and that's rare.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm.. perhaps you guys are right, i do use the maximum brightness all the time.. will test to see!

Nevertheless, debate is good, as there are still many people experiencing issues, and high brightness was here long before high res display, yet many have started complaining after they started using such screens.

:p :))

My question is: How can you stand full brightness all the time? Oh...you can't and that's why you posted! :)

Seriously, I cannot stand to look at a super bright screen for even a short period of time. It will wear me down so quick....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question is: How can you stand full brightness all the time? Oh...you can't and that's why you posted! :)

Seriously, I cannot stand to look at a super bright screen for even a short period of time. It will wear me down so quick....

Yes, full brightness all the time would probably damage my eyes. I find it uncomfortable when unnecessary, which is your body's signaling at work. I always start at lowest brightness and adjust up only when needed to balance against ambient light. The whole point of the adjustability is to let users balance.

I don't understand why anyone would use full brightness all the time unless compensating for existing eyesight problems, like partial blindness, and even then it might not work.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found this thread as I have eye problems, I was on the net looking for ways to improve my Retina Pro screen as I don't want to strain my eyes and make them any worse, I saw some scary posts but have now got things into perspective, I have turned the brightness down even further on my iPad Air and my Pro ( I didn't have it high though) One thing I can suggest to anyone though is to get some Spectacles with an Anti glare coating, I've had some for a while and my Optician says they really help with the glare from computer screens.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am used to non-retina, not sure about retina, last time I looked at it I had no problems, my eyes adjusted quickly.

Most reactions

Latest posts