What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does iPad2 SAY iPad2 on it?

coregeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.coregeek.net
Apple never brands any of their devices with the generation number. You can easily identify the device with the actual model numbers found on the case and in the software under general section.

Bigmerf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where you intend to or not it is a bit of an eye opener when you have the newest version of something.

supersteve1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can tell straight away its the ipad2 by how thin it is compared that of ipad1, plus if you have a white one, there is no white ipad1, so yes you would able to tell straight away.

Pvanosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The shape of the case's edge is totally different.

Look at the edge. The Ipad 1 has a vertical edge (like the iPhone 4). The Ipad2 has a thin edge or no edge if you like (like the Ipod Touch or the iPhone 3).

Then there's the cameras...

There is no way you'll ever sell an Ipad 1 as an Ipad 2, except to someone who has never seen either up close.

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder what they are going to do with the Ipad 3 and beyond? Now Apple has set themselves up for people to watch out for clues as to which # you have. ie: Well the cameras mean it is an ipad 2 and the way it feels means it is an Ipad3 and if you hold it to the light that is the only way you would know it is an ipad 4. Ugh and lol.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you wanted to know what model an Apple product is, you go by the processor. If this was a computer........ Since Apple does not show that on the iPad, there will probably a guide come out that will translate the model numbers or serial numbers to the generation.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can tell by looking at the Model number on the System. For iPad original:
Wi-Fi + 3G Models:
MC497LL/A
MC496LL/A
MC349LL/A
Wi-Fi Models:
MC294LL/A
MC293LL/A
MC292LL/A
Doesn't help with just a glancing look, but it will be accurate

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can tell by looking at the Model number on the System. For iPad original:
Wi-Fi + 3G Models:
MC497LL/A
MC496LL/A
MC349LL/A
Wi-Fi Models:
MC294LL/A
MC293LL/A
MC292LL/A
Doesn't help with just a glancing look, but it will be accurate

Oh great, now you want me to memorize that! :D

SDM44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just look at the iPods and iPhones from the past. They've never had a "3" or "4" next to their name on the device, or on the box.

The iPad would be no different.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It looks completely different from an iPad 1. As soon as you see one, you'll understand why the entire device says "iPAD 2!"

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would agree-once I see an iPad 2 up close, I'm sure I'll be able to discern, but the common public wouldn't, just those that own one or the other, or have had both. If I see a 2 out in the field, I'm fairly confident I would notice the shape was different (plus the cameras if I can see them from across the room, like if I'm at a cafe or something that is) provided it was not in a folio type case. Perhaps someone here who owns both can provide a side by side picture.

Most reactions

Latest posts