What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does anyone use their iPad2 for taking handwritten notes?

robb100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to iPad having just received mine last week. My family decided to get me one for my birthday. While it is cool I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with it. I'd rather watch movies on my television and not on a 10" screen. Not much of a gamer. Going to try reading a book on it soon. But my work requires me to interview lots of people, take notes, and type out interview reports. Is there a good app for taking handwritten notes? I would really like one that would convert my notes into type. Any suggetions on that? I'm still trying to get a feel for the app store and how to efficiently use it.

Thanks so much,
rob

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rob,

There are a number of apps for handwritten notes. Some also enable you to combine typed text and handwritten input. Consensus seems to be that Notes Plus, Note Taker HD, and Penultimate are the favorites. Many folks like NoteShelf (sp?) as well. As far as converting your handwriting into typed text, many people like Write Pad. From the reviews (I don't have Write Pad) it appears that it's not perfect and works best if you "print" individual letters rather than "write" entire words in a cursive manner.

Just keep in mind that to getting the full benefit of these apps requires a considerable amount of practice. Writing on the iPad is not like writing on a piece of paper. Many folks who take handwritten notes prefer to use a stylus to get more of a natural "writing" experience.

Some handwriting apps are available free of charge in the App Store. But those with more comprehensive features are paid apps. You might want to try a free app to begin but they differ enough in terms of features that you may find that a paid app is worth the money. And on that score keep in mind that if you pay for an app and then decide it doesn't meet your needs, you should be able to get credit for your purchase with the App Store. Just follow the directions for returning an app. And while Apple (not surprisingly) tries to limit returns to apps that don't work as advertised, I've never heard of anyone being turned down on a return if they find it simply doesn't meet their needs.

Good luck.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My handwriting is dreadful. When I first got my iPad I thought taking notes as you suggest would be a very efficient method of keeping track. However, over the 18-or-so months of iPad-ness I've decided that using a bluetooth keyboard as an entry method is faster, less obtrusive, and far more dependable. I use a ZAGG Folio, but there are many others to choose from.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My handwriting is dreadful. When I first got my iPad I thought taking notes as you suggest would be a very efficient method of keeping track. However, over the 18-or-so months of iPad-ness I've decided that using a bluetooth keyboard as an entry method is faster, less obtrusive, and far more dependable. I use a ZAGG Folio, but there are many others to choose from.

Same here. I continue to experiment with handwriting apps more as a pastime than as an efficient way to enter notes. That's why I haven't purchased Write Pad; I can enter notes even with the onscreen keyboard faster and more accurately than I can "write" letters and have them translated into typed text. And with a bluetooth keyboard (I use the Apple Wireless Keyboard or a Microsost 6000 Bluetooth Portable keyboard) there's no contest.

But for those who aren't accomplished typists, handwriting notes can be a major benefit. Furthermore, much of my note taking consists of a mixed set of text and diagrams. And for that purpose, Note Taker HD or Notes Plus are great tools that enable me to type and draw on the same page.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used Notetaker HD the other week for the first time to take handwritten notes at a lecture. Perviously I had only used the app to annotate PDFs which is a very handy thing to be able to do.

I had already practiced a little with a stylus and the app and found my handwriting was really awful. However, during the course of the couple of hours and umpteen pages of notes I made during my lecture, there was a noticeable improvement in my handwriting as time went by. Practice definitely makes a difference, and I'm very pleased with the app.

As for wondering what you'll use your iPad for, I was also given one as a present having never expressed a desire for one, and after 4 months of being a proud owner, my iPad is like a third arm and I can't imagine life without it. From listening to music in any room of the house, checking emails, taking quick reference photos, keeping masses of paperwork I need with me outside the house ( I seldom print anything now) to making notes, creating invoices and catching up on on-demand telly in my bed, it is truly indispensable.

OP
R

robb100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I will see if some of these apps have free versions and try that before buying. I was not aware that you can return apps. Thanks for letting me know.

Most reactions

Latest posts