What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Documents to go - Premium and IFile app Help

crbetsworth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, ive just downloaded the Documents to go - premium app for my ipad and have a couple quick questions. I work as a personal trainer and fitness instructor, which involves a lot of program writing through microsoft Excel. I have a keyboard and magic mouse for easier use. I have transferred all my excel files from my works computer to my ipad, the files only show in 'recent documents' when i open the Doc2go app, but i really need to organize my files properly within the 'Ifile' application, but cant seem to find the files...only way to see them in ifile is to open a document in docs2go and click 'view in ifile', then it appears under the documents tab for some reason. Also when i edit a spreadsheet and click save, it says "This file is read only. You must save your changes into a new file", is there any way i can just over-write my exsisting file? (if i do save as a new file like it asks, i still cant find the new save in ifile). Also is there any way of using the arrow keys on the keyboard to move up/down, left/right on the spreadsheet? Sorry for all the questions, my job is very important to me, and being able to work on my programs at home would help me ten fold. Thanks a lot really hope someone can help :) - Kes

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the iPad each app has its own private file space and one app cannot see or access another app's filespace directly. So iFile cannot access the Docs2Go filespace. If you want to transfer a file to iFile from Docs2Go then that's OK, because one app can transfer a file to another app via the iPad's operating system, iOS. But two apps never have access to the same file. So iFile cannot 'request' access to the Docs2Go filespace. iFile can 'offer' a file to Docs2Go via iOS, but it cannot request one.

Apple introduced this to ensure that a virus 'infection' could never affect the iPad.

Tim

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i can see my docs to go files using ifile, but not the files in itunes, keynote, pages and numbers.

OP
C

crbetsworth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for prompt reply Tim. That definitely helps knowing the apps have there own directory. So why do i have to make a new save everytime then? rather than just over-write the existing document? Thanks. - Kes

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's at

var/mobile/Applications/DocsToGo/Documents

Attachments

• image-1551581866.png
    image-1551581866.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 596

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
88raymond, when I export to iTunes my documents are at var/mobile/Applications/Pages/Documents..

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i see.

it isn't the same with me, as i am not an itunes user... i did everything with just my ipad2 :)

it's only now that i was told (by my 13-year old nephew) that i need to install all my apps via itunes... he said it will be very easy to place them back in after a restore. words of wisdom, lol!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
88raymond said:
i see.

it isn't the same with me, as i am not an itunes user... i did everything with just my ipad2 :)

it's only now that i was told (by my 13-year old nephew) that i need to install all my apps via itunes... he said it will be very easy to place them back in after a restore. words of wisdom, lol!

Haha yes, although you don't need iTunes to export, it will export when you plug in your iPad and sync with iTunes but if you don't use it, the files will still be in the place I said

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

theouys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages - how to see you files in ifiles

Send it to itunes, then it will appear in the document folder under applications/pages like you saw with docs2go. Hope it helps 88raymond.

Most reactions