What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you use the On/Off or Sleep/Wake feature?

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you use the On/Off or Sleep/Wake feature when you are not using your ipad? And what really is the difference?

OP
youngun

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bump - believe it or not this is a serious question!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. I'll bite. Sleep/wake. Why? Habit. Never remember that it can be turned off, and whatever I was doing, I can just resume.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

STeBoS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
OK. I'll bite. Sleep/wake. Why? Habit. Never remember that it can be turned off, and whatever I was doing, I can just resume.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Exactly. Second nature at this point. Something comes up in the middle of a game, e-mail,video,etc. I'm right back to where I was without losing battery.

Sent from Latveria

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to switch mine off overnight, I read somewhere it charges quicker when off than when in standby. It boots so quickly from off it's not an issue.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
youngun said:
Do you use the On/Off or Sleep/Wake feature when you are not using your ipad? And what really is the difference?

Um yeah...it saves battery if you don't make your iPad go to sleep the screen brightness will lower your iPads battery where when it's asleep it doesn't lower the battery

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
cellur111 said:
Um yeah...it saves battery if you don't make your iPad go to sleep the screen brightness will lower your iPads battery where when it's asleep it doesn't lower the battery

I think OP meant the difference between standby and turned right off.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I think OP meant the difference between standby and turned right off.

Oh..then I don't normally turn it off only do standby

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iDuffer said:
I tend to switch mine off overnight, I read somewhere it charges quicker when off than when in standby. It boots so quickly from off it's not an issue.

If you only press the sleep button once , you are in "sleep" mode or "standby". If you press down the off button for a longer period of time, until you get the power off slide, then you are going into the power off mode, meaning, your iPad is off. When your iPad is off, you have to press the sleep button until you get the Apple logo. That process takes a little bit of time, maybe no more than a minute? Whenever you are having problems with the iPad, one of the suggested resolutions is to turn off your iPad, this is that process. It is one of two. The other process is the sleep button plus the home button pressed together until the Apple logo appears.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts