What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you think website developers will tailor sites to iPad?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its obvious Apple does not like Flash on mobile devices....and has some valid reasons.

With all the millions of iPads that will be sold, it will be hard for commercial websites (aka online sales stores....best buy, office depot, staples, newegg, etc) to ignore this new user base. Customers who typically shop on-line will not be happy if they go to a favorite store, and can't navigate correctly, or have huge gaps all over the page from missing Flash objects.

I am guessing there will be a mad rush to modify website versions of many sites to accommodate iPad users.

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was already partially happening before the iPad, with html5. More and more sites will now get their asses moving to get it done quicker. They won't necessarily tailor their sites for iPad, rather they'll just upgrade, or make an addition to, their sites so they can also include iPad users, and other future technologies (for example, the new YouTube html5 beta page). Many sites offer flash versions in addition to HTML versions so people with dial up can view them....soon they'll offer flash and html5 versions.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figure they will just add a user-agent tag to point the iPad to a different version of the site similar to what they do for mobile\crackberry\iPhones now.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Eventually - not just for the iPad, but as HTML5 gets standardized and adopted. I dont see large companies with large, complicated websites completely redesigning everything just because of a couple million iPads. The iPad is still a very small drop in the ocean of the Internet.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eventually - not just for the iPad, but as HTML5 gets standardized and adopted. I dont see large companies with large, complicated websites completely redesigning everything just because of a couple million iPads. The iPad is still a very small drop in the ocean of the Internet.

I agree, but it is building up fast.

It took only two months and two million units, compared to almost 3 years and about 40 million iPod touches out there. That means iPads use the web roughly 20 times as much as iPod touches.

Also, not only has iPad more than doubled Android 2.1's share, it's now past all Android OS's combined. No idea how many units make up the Android installed base. See the whole two-month-long comparison below.

Deagol's AAPL Model: iPad web usage passes iPod

josun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I whole heartily agree. Major websites won't completely redesign just their websites just because of all the idevices. Compared to all the pc traffics they get, the idevices' traffic are still substantially small. Even with the move to HTML5 that factor won't change at all in near future. At the end of the day, the decision will come down to whether or not they believe in HTML5 as Steve Jobs do.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow. That's pretty impressive! Still that's only mobile devices. If I'm reading that right, all the devices in their list only combine to less that 0.4% of internet usage. You're right though, it will probably continue to grow quickly.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even with millions sold, there won't be a large enough base to demand iPad specific sites in addition to mobile versions. What I'd like more is a web browser that takes advantage of the iPad's interface to support gestures. Safari is pathetic; Atomic does much better as you can swipe between tabs, swipe them closed, etc. I'd like a browser that uses all the gestures, like pinching to tile open tabs, one finger swipes for back and forth, two finger swipes for chainging tabs, etc.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Adobe has a new tool in the new CS5 suite that converts Flash directly into HTML5 Canvas code...interesting.

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Major League Baseball's solution is to try to charge me $15 for an app to see what I can access for free with a pc.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Major League Baseball's solution is to try to charge me $15 for an app to see what I can access for free with a pc.

Well, someone had to write\code the app. Of course having the Official MLB license on it bumped the cost up 10$ more than it really is worth.

MikeM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eazel-stand.com
A lot of websites are already formatting themselves for iPhone and iPad viewing. Apple talks about the issues and gives a list of some of its favorites in their "webapp" page.

Oh, I need more posts before I can give the link. Just put a slash webapps on the end of the apple main URL.

Most reactions

Latest posts