What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you think the smart cover is the best case for ipad 2?

Patriks7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need something good looking and slim for use around the house, I'd say it's perfect. However, when using it outside or traveling with it, it definitely doesn't provide enough protection.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i returned my smart cover, it was cool but really want to cover the back and the magnet wasnt as strong as many say.

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, the smart cover offers to keep the screen covered when not in use and also doubles as a stand, but it in NO WAY protects the iPad. I have successfully shattered 2 screens on the iPad 2...both while the smart cover was on the iPad. I now use the defender by otterbox. After I received my 3rd iPad (thank you apple!), I was afraid to use it until I received my otterbox. It is a sickening, terrible feeling dropping this thing, and I never want to feel it again after looking at a shattered screen. Both were dropped one, and mean one time only...thats all it took. Before you put your $40 or $60 towards the smart cover, think how terrible you'll if you drop it that one time. Just my two cents.

Lord Blackmore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have as smart cover for the front and a boxwave for the back. I wouldn't recommend -just- a smart cover.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buttafingas said:
Speaking from experience, the smart cover offers to keep the screen covered when not in use and also doubles as a stand, but it in NO WAY protects the iPad. I have successfully shattered 2 screens on the iPad 2...both while the smart cover was on the iPad. I now use the defender by otterbox. After I received my 3rd iPad (thank you apple!), I was afraid to use it until I received my otterbox. It is a sickening, terrible feeling dropping this thing, and I never want to feel it again after looking at a shattered screen. Both were dropped one, and mean one time only...thats all it took. Before you put your $40 or $60 towards the smart cover, think how terrible you'll if you drop it that one time. Just my two cents.

Though I do have the Smart Cover, I am using it less these days in favor of a full case for this very reason. What did you tell Apple in order for them to replace two of them at no charge if I am understanding you correctly?

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
Though I do have the Smart Cover, I am using it less these days in favor of a full case for this very reason. What did you tell Apple in order for them to replace two of them at no charge if I am understanding you correctly?

The 1st time I actually dropped it while in the apple store. My theory is that they just took mercy on me since it happened there. They exchanged it for a new one, not a replacement. The 2nd time it happened at my kids school. It slipped out of the neoprene case that I didn't have zippered. They replaced that one under the 1 replacement rule. I still can't believe that I didn't have to pay for either breaks. Obviously, I'm an apple fan for life.....wouldn't you be?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buttafingas said:
The 1st time I actually dropped it while in the apple store. My theory is that they just took mercy on me since it happened there. They exchanged it for a new one, not a replacement. The 2nd time it happened at my kids school. It slipped out of the neoprene case that I didn't have zippered. They replaced that one under the 1 replacement rule. I still can't believe that I didn't have to pay for either breaks. Obviously, I'm an apple fan for life.....wouldn't you be?

Wow... yes, that is absolutely great customer service! Just hearing the story must make a lot of us feel that we are in excellent hands.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally like it, I got the TPU Smart Cover companion so it goes great together. Full protection!

Holoshed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mdc49 said:
Belkin sells a clear smoky colored piece that fits directly with the smart cover. It even states it on the packaging. I bought mine at best buy for under $40. It works great, and gives you better grip on the iPad when holding it. The rear piece is plastic and has cut outs for the iPad 2 buttons and speaker.

Mine has stayed on without any issues, and I love it.

Link here to it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Snap+Shield+for+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPad%26%23174%3B+2+-+Clear/2538172.p?id=1218334193795&skuId=2538172

Sorry I couldn't get the hyperlink in. But it's there...

And I hate to say it but when you can find the same quality stuff on eBay for 10 dollars, you quickly put down the 40 one for the cheaper with free shipping net deal.

I only bought the leather smart cover because someone had returned it to best buy and I was there when they put it back out open box for cheaper.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Vigor said:
Just for a beautiful appearance, it's fine.

Never underestimate the importance of appearances. I have the black leather and agree that it is a showpiece and more (I certainly like it); but, for the road warrior types, using that alone carries along a high probability of having to kiss your iPad 2 goodbye in the not too distant future. ;-)

Last edited:

carlnunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didnt like the micro fiber exposed to table surface, while rolled up behind the ipad, then shut case with same side on the screen. Those magnets are really cool though! I returned mine for a real case.

iKIKO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is. im diggin it a lot.

My setup is the blue smart cover, and the back wrapsol, then i dont have to worry about the back scratches, and mantain the slim profile that indeed i love.

Here some pics

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts