What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I charge or turn off?

Jugnoop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be travelling out of country for six weeks. I will be taking my Iphone & ipad mini with me but leave my Ipad4 at home. Should I leave it plugged in or turn it off & not charge until I return. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Either should be fine for six weeks, but make sure it's got a good charge on it before you shut it off if you choose that. And make sure you actually turn it off, not just put it to sleep (press the power button until the slide to turn off appears, and slide it off).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be travelling out of country for six weeks. I will be taking my Iphone & ipad mini with me but leave my Ipad4 at home. Should I leave it plugged in or turn it off & not charge until I return. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I'd just fully charge it, unplug it, and turn it off.

OP
J

Jugnoop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Either should be fine for six weeks, but make sure it's got a good charge on it before you shut it off if you choose that. And make sure you actually turn it off, not just put it to sleep (press the power button until the slide to turn off appears, and slide it off).
Thanks

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks
It is ok letting it charging. Most of smart gadgets now don't accept power anymore when its full.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At first, I would have given the same advice, i.e. charge up the iPad and then shut off completely; but the other day I came across an Apple support article HERE - section pertinent to this discussion quoted below. Now, storage timing (e.g. several weeks, a month, or more) is vague ('long term'), but appears that Apple is recommending a 'half charge'? Not sure that one way or another would make much of a difference, especially if done rarely. Dave :)

If you want to store your device long term, two key factors will affect the overall health of your battery: the environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage. Therefore, we recommend the following:
  • Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.
  • Power down the device to avoid additional battery use.
  • Place your device in a cool, moisture-free environment that’s less than 90° F (32° C).
  • If you plan to store your device for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months.

OP
J

Jugnoop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At first, I would have given the same advice, i.e. charge up the iPad and then shut off completely; but the other day I came across an Apple support article HERE - section pertinent to this discussion quoted below. Now, storage timing (e.g. several weeks, a month, or more) is vague ('long term'), but appears that Apple is recommending a 'half charge'? Not sure that one way or another would make much of a difference, especially if done rarely. Dave :)
Thank You.

Most reactions

Latest posts