What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappearing storage space

dowtchaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep running out of storage space /available memory when I want to add a new app.
Certain apps, particularly Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr etc. just keep growing as they are used until there is no free space left. Only way to get the space back seems to be to delete the app and reinstall.
Surely there is a better way? Is there no way to tell these apps to limit themselves?
Even Evernote, the free version which does NOT keep a copy of pages on my iPad, keeps ballooning.
Any clues?.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It appears that once these apps have grabbed storage space, there is no way they are going to let it go. Deleting and reinstalling is the only way to get your space back.

The only alternative is to use the web interface for these sites via Safari. News apps do the same thing. I had the BBC and CNN apps, but junked them for this reason. Now I access the sites only from Safari.

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a suggestion: Check is there any application in your
device that use progressively storage space. You can do that by monitoring memory usage of applications. Example for that is this screenshot

Sent from my iPad 4

Attachments

• image-88360143.png
    image-88360143.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 504
OP
D

dowtchaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MILJAN said:
Just a suggestion: Check is there any application in your
device that use progressively storage space. You can do that by monitoring memory usage of applications. Example for that is this screenshot

Sent from my iPad 4

Well -yes -that's what I mean - I've been checking all my apps to see which ones are increasing in size every day. The ones I've listed do it, and I have already dropped the Gmail app, as it was taking up as much as the iPad Mail app, and some of the news apps like Reuters and AP.
It's very frustrating having to go delete music, or photographs or even apps every time I want to try out an app, or do an update.
I find despite having a 16GB iPad I have less room for music than I do on my 8GB iPod!

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well -yes -that's what I mean - I've been checking all my apps to see which ones are increasing in size every day. The ones I've listed do it, and I have already dropped the Gmail app, as it was taking up as much as the iPad Mail app, and some of the news apps like Reuters and AP.
It's very frustrating having to go delete music, or photographs or even apps every time I want to try out an app, or do an update.
I find despite having a 16GB iPad I have less room for music than I do on my 8GB iPod!

That's the downside of having an iPad with small storage. All I can suggest is either upgrade to a higher storage iPad(32,64,128)get a cloud drive or the Airstash.

Most reactions

Latest posts