What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ding not sounding for new email

Alice.s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get the ding sound when email comes in? The button is not muted. I adjusted the sound and still does not work. It did work for a while and not sure why it no longer works. Please advise soonest.

Thank you,

Alice

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What did you select in Settings - General - Use Side Switch to?

If it's Lock Rotation, maybe you muted it in Control Center. Slide upwards from the bottom of the screen. If you see a button like this:
image.jpg

tap it once to get the sound working again.

Also make sure that you allow "Change with buttons" in Settings - Sounds - Ringer and Alerts.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alice.s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What did you select in Settings - General - Use Side Switch to?

If it's Lock Rotation, maybe you muted it in Control Center. Slide upwards from the bottom of the screen. If you see a button like this:
View attachment 60725
tap it once to get the sound working again.

Also make sure that you allow "Change with buttons" in Settings - Sounds - Ringer and Alerts.

Hope that helps.
Thank you, I hope that helps and will know when It's get an email.

OP
A

Alice.s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get the ding sound when email comes in? The button is not muted. I adjusted the sound and still does not work. It did work for a while and not sure why it no longer works. Please advise soonest.

Thank you,

Alice
The ding and swoosh sounds still do not work. I went to general, but see nothing there to get the sounds. I did as you recommended and no luck. I went into sounds and see that both ding and swoosh are checked, even checked lock sounds, but still neither is working. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Alice

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you have notifications turned on for Mail in Settings > Notifications?

If not, that should solve it.

Good luck!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To summarize the places to look:

Mute: either in the Control Center or the side switch, depending on your what you have set in Settings > General > Use Side Switch To:

Sounds: In Settings > Sounds you choose what sound the arriving and sent email makes. They can be set to None.

{thanks to Johanna for those}

Notifications: Under Settings > Notifications > Mail you can turn off notifications altogether, or you can turn off notification sounds for individual accounts; by selecting those accounts.

{thanks to abababababab}

Do Not Disturb: If you have Do Not Disturb turned on under Settings > Do Not Disturb then most alert sounds will be turned off. There should also be a moon icon in the status bar.

If none of these work it might be time to try Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This wont' erase any apps, data, or accounts, but it will default many other settings, like wallpaper and sounds. You'll have to tweak some of your preferences to get things back to where you like them.

Most reactions

Latest posts