What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Magazine Readership Survey Finds that Digital Readership is Expanding Fast

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Qmags has just released the results of its 2010 Annual Digital Magazine Readership Survey of 170, 000 readers, which indicate a continued shift towards digital content and preferences. For example, by margins of 3:1 and 4:1, respondents said that they chose digital magazines over print for industry, business, and product news. Across the board, the use of print media has declined, while the use of digital magazines, websites, and other e-products has soared.

The reasons given for this by respondents were that e-products were timelier, easier to save, environmentally friendly, and more searchable. The majority of those surveyed declared themselves either “satisfied†or “very satisfied†with digital publications.

The survey also found that over 60 percent of respondents read three or four of the past four digital editions received, and 70 percent said that the average time spent reading digital magazines was between 15-45 minutes. 16 percent of those polled expressed an interest in mobile delivery, and 17 percent in reading devices such as the iPad and Kindle. Over two-thirds said that they liked video enhancements.

Over three quarters of the readers preferred to download their magazines, and most said that they save the magazine to read later in the week rather than reading it as soon as they download it. Even more interestingly, almost 80 percent of respondents said that they read digital magazines “to do my job betterâ€.

Source: Qmags

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com
even though the number of people switching to digital media is rapidly increasing, it still boggles me that the numbers aren't higher, closer to 100% by now, afterall it's 2010 not 1990 anymore back when physical magazines might have been cool

iamfudge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sometimes it is a lot easier to have a physical magazine than a digital one.
I would rather throw a magazine in my back-pac when headed to the beach than bring my iPad.
I also think if you have a subscription to the physical mag, the company should offer you a digital copy as well.

Gut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sometimes it is a lot easier to have a physical magazine than a digital one.
I would rather throw a magazine in my back-pac when headed to the beach than bring my iPad.
I also think if you have a subscription to the physical mag, the company should offer you a digital copy as well.

I agree with that, I love the digital aspect and wish that the mags I subscribe to now would give me both!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
even though the number of people switching to digital media is rapidly increasing, it still boggles me that the numbers aren't higher, closer to 100% by now, afterall it's 2010 not 1990 anymore back when physical magazines might have been cool

I often am amazed just how slow the general population is to embrace new technology. You would think with all the whining about the environment, and the "green" concerns that newspapers and magazines would have gone digital years ago. I always laugh when I see attendees at green conferences climb out of stretch limo's with newspapers under their arm. Then they go to the conference and complain what my thermostat is set on.........

Anyway, I trust in another 10 years or so we may finally reach the 21st century. I hope the iPad can help it along, and I think already is. I am just waiting until a magazine I am interested in goes digital. As it is now I subscribe to none, paper or digital.....

Most reactions

Latest posts