What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between iPad 2 models (MC***CH vs MC***LL/A)

ipadtechnique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All!

I have 2 ipads with the above model numbers. I notice there are differences in the settings:

1. CH model says WLAN, LL model says WI-FI
2. CH default search engine is Baidu, LL model has Google
3. CH model has Sina Weibo, LL don't
Also, when I did an update and restore on these 2 (from 8.1.3 to 8.2), the above differences in the settings stay on each ipad. Does Apple check the model number when doing the update/restore to see which defaults, firmware/ios version to use? I'm guessing the one with the CH in the model number is from China and the one with the LL is from the US. Is there a way to install the LL version of the software/ios/firmware onto the CH model?

Thanks in advance!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you post the complete model numbers, please? It would make answering your question much easier.

BTW, there's no way to transfer iOS software directly from one iPad to another. To instal the LL model iOS into the CH model, you'd have to have the CH model in the U.S. In order to do that.

Last edited:
OP
I

ipadtechnique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are the model numbers: MC770CH and MC770LL/A. Both ipads are here in the US. Here's what I tried so far with the CH model.

1. Using itunes, updated the firmware from to 8.1.3 using a downloaded ipsw. Result is the same. (I can tell because baidu is the default search engine, WLAN instead of WI-FI, etc.).

2. Again using itunes, updated the firmware to 8.2, this time letting itunes download everything. Result is the same.

Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like Apple has made it impossible to download the U.S. Version of iOS 8.2 onto an iPad intended for the Chinese market. You'll likely just have to live with that.

OP
I

ipadtechnique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57! That's what I thought too. I tried several times, downgrading/updating the ios/firmware. Looks like they are checking the model number on the device every time you do a restore/update in itunes. I also tried other ipsw lower than 8 but to no avail. itunes is saying something like "not eligible for the requested build".

The only way to change the default search engine in through the settings.
Are the no other hacks for this?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While you can select another search engine in settings, there's no way to choose another search engine as the default search engine.

The reason you can't restore to any other than the latest iOS version is that Apple has stopped signing the older iOS versions and Apple only allows you to update to or restore to a version thatbApple is still sighting.

OP
I

ipadtechnique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you said, I guess I have to live with that :)
Thank you very much!

Most reactions