What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Samsung copy Apple?

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple need not worry about this statement anyway. Everyone I know in the UK only visits the Apple Store not the home page unless they have Apple as there homepage. :)

image-1514527231.jpg

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
iJamesH said:
Um Apple = a $650B company so lawyers are like a drop of water from an ocean.

Agreed. But market capitalisation is only what investors determine a company is worth.

Apple shares have now lost more than $100 from their all-time peak of $705.07, hit on Sept. 21. It's current value is about $556 billion.

Still, Apple remains the most valuable publicly traded company in the world.

In the device arena, the most important metrics are sales, revenue and profit margins

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What did apple actually accuse Samsung of copying? If its the shape of the tablet then it's hard to get on board with that. You can't really patent a shape, can you? I dunno. The whole thing seems a tad overblown. I enjoy my iPad but sometimes apple does appear to be a bully about some things. I appreciate competition and choices. It keeps all companies on their toes and ultimately benefits us consumers. Apple isn't hurting and neither is Samsung for that matter. I just don't want to see silly lawsuits and things like that. Let every company play in the tablet arena. Apple will just have to keep on innovating and staying ahead. That's better than handing the market to them through lawsuits and patent squabbles.

iPad2 32GB WiFi / iOS 6.0

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can patent the appearance of an item, it's called a design patent.

amelie123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do believe that samsumg does copy apple and I never thought that the court would go for that decision.I mean that is terrible.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
amelie123 said:
I do believe that samsumg does copy apple and I never thought that the court would go for that decision.I mean that is terrible.

In California, Apple won their patent infringement case against Samsung, to the tune of one Billion dollars.

R.neo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guys, i think the London Jugdement is using Samsung :p so he will help samsung.

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
amelie123 said:

I agree!

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Meaning the Samsung statement is out of view lol. Apple are funny!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
You can patent the appearance of an item, it's called a design patent.

OK, but how are any two devices allowed to look alike then? Like flat panel TVs? Wouldn't Sharp or whomever made the first ones have patented the design? What about coffee pots? Washers and dryers? I just wonder how different you have to make something for it to be declared different enough to get away with it?

I still think the idea of patenting a shape is a little dodgy but its not my decision. Seems to be an area that would have a zillion exceptions and paradoxes. The iPad is just a rectangular slab with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Nothing incredibly innovative about the shape of it. The software running on it and how it's used are where the innovation takes place. That's why customers buy apple tablets. No one has ever once said they bought the iPad because of its shape alone....have they? I doubt it. I still think apple is angry that Samsung has gained some market share or whatever. I'm sure other companies get angry about this kind of stuff too. I also believe that the consumer benefits from competition and anytime that competition is held back its a bad thing.

Oh well.

iPad2 32GB WiFi / iOS 6.0

Last edited:
OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry only half my message seems to be visible on the thread. My post was meant to read:-

Has anyone viewed the homepage of Apple UK today? It now only shows the mini iPad etc. You have to scroll down to view the Samsung statement which most people will not do. Lol Very clever.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do it a lot. I only scrolled and searched the Apple homepage because I read on the news that Apple had been ordered to post the apology in a particular font. I was curious as to how they would respond. I think the UK courts have only sided with Samsung as they were one of the main sponsors at the Olympic Games.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny thing is, you have to scroll down to find the "buy it now" button on the Apple website.

Perhaps if the judge hadn't been so insistent on a type size, Apple could have made it fit without scrolling.

Most reactions

Latest posts