What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting sent folder

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
how can I delete the entire sent folder at once on my iPad 3 ?

Hi Doris - you're unlikely to receive a response until you explain your situation better, i.e. you are using an iPad 3 as above - what iOS is installed? Are you talking about the stock Mail App on the iPad? What email accounts do you have setup on the iPad? What 'sent folder' are you referring to? May just get potential posters started? Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The answer is that there is no good way to delete all emails in the Sent folder at once. I believe there is a trick that works (or used to) but I don't remember the method. With luck someone will wander by who remembers.

Depending on your account type, the best way is to use the provider's app (Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) which usually has this extra feature; or to go to the website version of your email and do it there.

The good news is that for most account types the iPad does not store an infinite list of your sent emails. Instead it keeps the most recent emails on the iPad, but the older ones will only be on the server; only downloaded onto the iPad again if you scroll back in history or do a search.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible to remove all emails in the Sent folder of the stock email app at once, and no trick is necessary to do that.

Open the "Sent" folder of one of your accounts on your iPad, tap "Edit":
image.png

At the bottom, "Delete All" will appear. Tap it to remove all the emails in that folder.
image.png

Hope that helps.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On my iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.4 there is no Delete All option, it seems that I have to mark them individually and then trash them. This may be due to having more than one email account set up on my iPad, though.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oops!
Sorry, my iPad Air's software is iOS 9 public beta. I've just checked on my iPhone, and it's not possible yet.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This should be the right procedure:

In the Sent folder of an account, tap "Edit":
image.png

It will look somehow like this:
image.png

Checkmark the very first email. Then tap "Move", and don't lift your finger:
image.png

While holding "Move", uncheckmark the email you've checkmarked before.
image.png

Now let go of the "Move" button. The next thing you'll find is something like this:
image.png

Select "Trash" to move all of the emails in the Sent folder there.

It worked on my iPhone, so it should also work on an iPad running iOS 8.4.

Hope that helps.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is possible to remove all emails in the Sent folder of the stock email app at once, and no trick is necessary to do that.

Open the "Sent" folder of one of your accounts on your iPad, tap "Edit":
View attachment 66221
At the bottom, "Delete All" will appear. Tap it to remove all the emails in that folder.
View attachment 66222
Hope that helps.
Thanks, but.......somehow it deleted all my inbox as well. Can't find the sent file that should be in trash either. Very strange.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It took them long enough to give us a bulk delete function in email. Judging by the number of members asking how to bulk delete their emails, it should be a very welcome feature.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well,I didn't want or ask it to delete my inbox too! Only the sent file.........
When iOS 9 is publicly released, you'll be able to delete your entire sent folder, not just the inbox. Each requires a separate action on your part.

Most reactions

Latest posts