What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting purchased songs

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Know this is the iPad4 forum, but i am a Noob. I forgot that I purchased some songs and iTunes let me re-purchase the same songs (I am unsure why, since it knows what songs I purchased) now I want to delete them, so that I do not have duplicates in my Music App. Is it possible to delete purchased songs in iTunes? If so, how is it done?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Know this is the iPad4 forum, but i am a Noob. I forgot that I purchased some songs and iTunes let me re-purchase the same songs (I am unsure why, since it knows what songs I purchased) now I want to delete them, so that I do not have duplicates in my Music App. Is it possible to delete purchased songs in iTunes? If so, how is it done?

Are you sure you used the same Apple ID in both instances? iTunes shouldn't have allowed you to purchase songs that were already listed in your account.

silverado8405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another question is where the songs off different albums? Itunes will let you buy the same song off the release album and the greatest hits for instance because technically they're two different songs.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another question is where the songs off different albums? Itunes will let you buy the same song off the release album and the greatest hits for instance because technically they're two different songs.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF

That's a good point.

Apple should implement an alert system that alerts users if duplicate titles from the same artist have already been purchased.

Update: I submitted an idea to Apple that would help alleviate purchasing duplicate songs from different albums in iTunes. The idea makes sense and hopefully will be implemented in the future.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should be pointed out that just because the same song is on two different albums does not mean it's the same track. There may be differences; as minor as a few seconds of play time to an entirely different mix and or recording session.

It's not any different than the old record, tape, or CD days. You often got the same tracks on different albums. Or sometimes it was the same only in the sense of being the same tune and lyrics by the same artists. Which sounds the same, but does't actually sound the same.

On the other hand, iTunes also considers the same tracks and/or albums purchased at different quality levels and with or without DRM to be different; if for no other reason than that they cost more. Mostly this is only a problem with tracks purchased several years ago (of which I have many).

OP
rdkendrick

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good point. Apple should implement an alert system that alerts users if duplicate titles from the same artist have already been purchased. Update: I submitted an idea to Apple that would help alleviate purchasing duplicate songs from different albums in iTunes. The idea makes sense and hopefully will be implemented in the future.

Correct. I pretty much suspected that is WAS because they were from two different Greatest Hits album. Two of the songs are the exact same length, one is the same song, but slightly different track length.
Thank you for confirming this for me. I hope Apple uses your idea, but I am guessing they won't.
It doesn't bother me that I paid for them twice, as much as that I cannot delete them and they show up as duplicates.
Thanks again.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Correct. I pretty much suspected that is WAS because they were from two different Greatest Hits album. Two of the songs are the exact same length, one is the same song, but slightly different track length.
Thank you for confirming this for me. I hope Apple uses your idea, but I am guessing they won't.
It doesn't bother me that I paid for them twice, as much as that I cannot delete them and they show up as duplicates.
Thanks again.

Yeah, I don't think they'll use my idea.. specifically because of the good point made by twerppoet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks again.

You can delete the duplicate song from your iPad. Or you should be able to, the last time I checked. Just swipe (right or left) on the track in the Songs list (might work in other lists) and choose delete.

This won't delete it from your purchased tracks.

Which means that unless you go to to Settings > Music and turn off Show All Music, the track will still show, but with a cloud icon next to it to indicate it is not on the iPad, but available for download.

Some of this is from memory. Since I activated iTunes Match things don't work exactly the same anymore, so I can't test and be sure.

OP
rdkendrick

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can delete the duplicate song from your iPad. Or you should be able to, the last time I checked. Just swipe (right or left) on the track in the Songs list (might work in other lists) and choose delete. This won't delete it from your purchased tracks. Which means that unless you go to to Settings > Music and turn off Show All Music, the track will still show, but with a cloud icon next to it to indicate it is not on the iPad, but available for download. Some of this is from memory. Since I activated iTunes Match things don't work exactly the same anymore, so I can't test and be sure.

I already tried, but it still shows up with the cloud and arrow. It won't play like that, but I still don't like seeing it in there as a duplicate. It's my fault. My memory ain't what it used to be and I should have checked before I re-bought the songs.
I want it to show all music, as I have both purchased and ripped tracks on it. I'll live with it. It's minor, but annoying.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can hide music you have purchased the same way you can hide apps but it will need to be done through iTunes on your mac/PC

Here's the link.....it does say it can be done with music, although I haven't tried it myself and right now my daughter is monopolising my MBP.....I hope it works for you.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4919

OP
rdkendrick

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can hide music you have purchased the same way you can hide apps but it will need to be done through iTunes on your mac/PC Here's the link.....it does say it can be done with music, although I haven't tried it myself and right now my daughter is monopolising my MBP.....I hope it works for you. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4919

Thanks! I will give that a try.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will give that a try.

I'm so glad you've come back and seen this......I ended up doing it myself for a lot of apps I had downloaded.

Let us know how you go with your music......

After you have hidden it, have a look in iTunes and see how the song is listed after. I'm curious to know if the song will be listed with a price or not.

Most reactions