What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting photos from my IPAD 2 that I previously synced from my PC ?

prisco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like specific steps to delete photos from my IPAD that I previosly synced from my PC , I have used too much storage on the IPAD and need to free up space .
I have read before that I must connect the IPAD to my computer and use ITUNES to delete the pictures , but I am having difficulty understanding what exactly to do , when I go to ITUNES , I'm just getting the store to buy st7uff.
Also I sometimes get a message that says some contacts will be deleted if I proceed , which of course , I don't want to mess with , I want to work on deleting photos only at this point .
One time in fooling around with this I got an area where the photos were listed individually by # so that I would have had to click each one and then delete it . I would rather delete by album .

Thanks so much,
Prisco

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In order to delete pictures you put on the iPad with your PC, you must connect the iPad back to the PC and use the iTunes on the PC to delete/remove any photos.

Marilyn

OP
P

prisco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to delete pictures you put on the iPad with your PC, you must connect the iPad back to the PC and use the iTunes on the PC to delete/remove any photos.

Marilyn
I am still having difficulty comprehending what specifcally I need to do . I have put photos I would like to retain on the IPAD in Albums, however in Photos a huge amount are there . Can I delete the ones in Photos , while retaining those in Albums?

When I connect the IPAD to my PC and select ITUNES i get the music portion , which I want to sort later, but I'm not seeing where to switch to photos.

Sorry , I feel so dense but would like to figure this out .

Also I don't understand why people say to delete photos thru ITUNES and then re-synch.??

I have turned off photo stream , does this have something to do with my problem ?

Thank you whomever ,
Prisco

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, lets see if I can explain it in more detail.

You connect your iPad to the computer and open iTunes. In iTunes you must select the iPad, either in the left column (if you have it enabled) or at the top right when the iPad button shows up next to the iTunes Store button at the top right. This means you must also be in Library mode (viewing your local files) not browsing the iTunes Store.

Once you select the iPad you will see a series of sync options near the top of the iTunes window: Summary, Music, Books, etc. Choose the Photos option. Here you will find your sync settings for photos. You should see a folder selected and either the option to sync the entire folder or only subfolders (if you have any). To remove all photo albums simply turn off the syncing in the first option and Apply/Sync at the bottom. If you only want to remove some of the albums make sure the selected albums option is checked and then uncheck the unwanted folder/albums.

To remove individual photos, go the the folder your iTunes sync is pointed at and remove them from that folder. The opposite of you want to add photos.

The thing to keep in mind is you are not using iTunes to copy photos to the iPad. You are syncing specific folders. In order to make changes you have to change either the contents of those folders, or change your photo sync settings, and then sync again.

Now, it is also possible to create albums in Photos on the iPad itself. These folders are completely different. They are little more than a list of photos that are stored in the Camera Roll on in other albums. These photos can be deleted on the iPad. You can remove them from the album, if you select them in the album, or deleted from Photos altogether. You can not delete them from one part of Photos but leave them in the album.

Photo Stream is a completely different beast. If you have it turned off, don't worry about it.

iOS and iPod: Syncing photos using iTunes

iCloud: My Photo Stream FAQ

Most reactions

Latest posts