What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data drain when plugged in and locked!

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not have a cellular account.

I have another post in the icloud area. Maybe you can help me?

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey

It is happening again.

My iPad had been plugged in and on all night because I downloaded a huge app. I wanted to check out the Walking Dead game and it is almost 300meg so I started download during free data time.

This morning I checked the download and it finished. I checked my data allowance and it was 100% due to data refill each night.

I used Pages and then uploaded my work tp Dropbox, checked out Twitter using the Twitter app, did some web surfing. I checked the data allowance and it was 84%.

I turned off the wifi and started the game just to see if it was interesting then closed the app and locked the iPad which was plugged in.

Came back and turned on the wifi. A few minutes later I checked my data allowance and it went down to 64%. I did not do anything. Just turned it on, made some tea and came back.

I unplugged it and the data drain has stopped.

I checked iCloud in settings and it was off. Just the sign-in/register screen. I have not used my laptop at all since deleting iCloud. Pages is not set up to use iCloud and cellular is off.

I have checked Usage in Settings several times and nothing seems to be growing. We are talking over 100meg! So, this must be upload usage - correct?

Why?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did emails upload while you were away, or did you set these to manual in your settings so they won't get loaded when you don't open the app?

Are you syncing your iPad to iTunes? If so: did you enable syncing over Wi-Fi? This will start when the iPad is charging. Laptop and iPad have to be connected to the same network. Was your laptop turned on when you noticed the data usage?

Do you use Location Services? Siri?

As advised by @twerppoet, go through your settings and disable everything else that also could use data.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey J.A.!

The laptop is unplugged. Has been all day. So syncing with iTunes cannot happen.

Since this ONLY HAPPENS when iPad is plugged in, I do not see why there would be a problem with emails or their delivery frequency.

When I plug it in with wifi on, I can just sit there and view the data draining while doing absolutely nothing.

I unplug it with wifi on and the draining stops.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh! Another thing!

Opening a file in Pages with wifi on takes longer than with wifi off. Also, with wifi off there is a pop-up that states something about comic sans in the document. It does not do that with wifi on.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not want to double post. I do have an idea about what is happening and posted it in my post "iCloud Drive!" in the iCloud area.

Most reactions

Latest posts