What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Customer Ratings - does it affect you decision ?

EODtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes App Store lets iPad software users rate applications on a 1 to 5 star rating system. I have been using this as a guide in which applications I download. I have seen applications recommended on the forum by users and go to the App Store and it shows 5 stars is 17 and one star is 34, with a scattering of ratings in between. How much of an influence do the ratings make in your decision to download an application OR purchase that application without the ability to try it before buying it. I wish the Shareware concept was an option for iPad applications, the " Lite " options just don't hack it for me.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, it affects my decision a lot, but I disregard a lot of the one-star reviews for complex apps; like when people buy without reading the description.

joephoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've come to rely on a mixture of the ratings and written reviews. I've also searched for reviews online for more expensive apps that I just wasn't sure about. I'm actually doing it right now to decide between 3 folio apps.

Google's app system for Android has a 24 hour refund policy. If you buy an app that turns out to be total junk, you can get your money refunded in just a few clicks within the first 24 hours of buying and downloading it. I would love to see Apple implement this within the app store. It's a huge time saver.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I highly disagree with most of the comments. They are often false and misleading,say for example, I was looking for an app to just record small informations into different categories for later access. I found database for iPad the free one,now if you read the reviews most says false stuff like "I can't even make a new database",or "it is a complete junk,don't waste your time" etc,but I decided to give it a try and what do you know almost all the negative comments and ratings were clean lies or ignorance,I could do everything the comments claimed to be impossible,and the app pretty much overdid everything it claimed to do,so now I suggest don't be fooled by false comments or ratings as they are often written for mischievous intent or just complete ignorance on how to use the app and whats the real purpose of the app. But yes I don't say you do that always,when it comes to expensive apps do some research and you'll have enough information to decide.

Thanks

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to look at the most critical reviews and see what they say: a serious or recurring issue raised by several users is a fairly good indication of a problem.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Disregard the stars and read the blurb mainly, but then I'm lead to the app by a positive review from somewhere else on the web. Can't be bothered to search the appstore. Just to damned big now.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I highly disagree with most of the comments. They are often false and misleading,say for example, I was looking for an app to just record small informations into different categories for later access. I found database for iPad the free one,now if you read the reviews most says false stuff like "I can't even make a new database",or "it is a complete junk,don't waste your time" etc,but I decided to give it a try and what do you know almost all the negative comments and ratings were clean lies or ignorance,I could do everything the comments claimed to be impossible,and the app pretty much overdid everything it claimed to do,so now I suggest don't be fooled by false comments or ratings as they are often written for mischievous intent or just complete ignorance on how to use the app and whats the real purpose of the app. But yes I don't say you do that always,when it comes to expensive apps do some research and you'll have enough information to decide.

Thanks
If I really think I could use the app I tend to look for reviews from people like you and your experience above. When I see something like "I don't know what these reviewers are talking about, doing xyz is certainly possible with this app..." I tend to take notice and look for others saying something similar.

I also look for recent updates that might have been problematic, but are now fixed. For instance if a recent update went horribly, a ton of people will post 1 star reviews bringing the average down very quickly. But if I see they WERE happy and now they are not I look at the most recent reviews to see if a subsequent update has resolved it (e.g., "Thank God for the last update... all is well again and back up to 5 stars!").

Michael

DavidWitt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
chromaticarts.net
Good points made here, and as a developer, i'm glad to see people are reading the reviews more than the star rating. I think the star rating is definitely lopsided, because the only time it is automatically prompted in on uninstall.

AmandaY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it is important to me to read a lot of reviews first before making a decision. So, I don't buy anything newly introduced to the market.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good points made here, and as a developer, i'm glad to see people are reading the reviews more than the star rating. I think the star rating is definitely lopsided, because the only time it is automatically prompted in on uninstall.

You can tell very quickly from the comments and their context whether it's a valid issue, or a dissatisfied user spitting poison because he/she didn't read the description and the app didn't meet expectations. Personally I dislike rating/scoring systems, because they don't tell you anything except the popularity of an item.

Most reactions

Latest posts