What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curious Question

GlenEng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm searching for inexpensive broken iPad 2's and 3's (mostly the ones with just the broken glass) not the ones that are seriously trashed, because I want to add iPad screen replacement to my PC repair business.

Quite a bit of what I am finding for sale are iPads that are iCloud ID locked, and these actually have quite a few bids on them on E*Bay.

My question, "Why on Earth would anyone want to buy one of these"? There couldn't be much of practical value on an iPad of this nature, other than possibly the LCD, or a connector, or WiFi antenna or something. However, the price some of these are going for make buying them for these parts more expensive than just buying the parts from other sources.

So, of anyone could shed any light on what someone would want a useless iPad for, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.

ObiJohnKenobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been wondering the same thing! I suspect that a lot of what's driving prices up is an ignorance on the part of the buyer about how iCloud lock equals expensive paperweight. I also imagine that some buyers think they can fix it.

In pouring over the Interwebs, I understand that there are websites claiming to be able to unlock devices for a hefty fee, but I also understand that restoring device functionality entails a hack where you can never update the OS.

Until I see face-to-face proof of a locked device being brought back to 100% functionality without the old owner's Apple ID password, I'm going to go on assuming that ignorance is driving prices on eBay for iCloud-locked devices.

Most reactions