What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

creating your own apps?

techknott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in, but what would be the easiest route to start from to learn iOS? I have no previous language skills at all but plan to teach myself gradually over time. I'm good at picking things up but am really confused as to where to start. C++ then objective is where I'm leaning but I'm not 100% sure as every tut assumes that you have previous experience with other languages.

I don't want to learn anything that I don't really need to and end up becoming confused in the process. I just want to learn to code iOS. Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in, but what would be the easiest route to start from to learn iOS? I have no previous language skills at all but plan to teach myself gradually over time. I'm good at picking things up but am really confused as to where to start. C++ then objective is where I'm leaning but I'm not 100% sure as every tut assumes that you have previous experience with other languages.

I don't want to learn anything that I don't really need to and end up becoming confused in the process. I just want to learn to code iOS. Thanks

The iTunesU course that I mentioned earlier in the thread is a great resource and is free. If you follow the course by the end you'll have learnt enough to program some simple apps and should be able to handle more complex app development after that.

Tim

Don9307

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miket5au said:
There are guides to instal Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) in VMWare and Virtualbox. Also for creating a Hackintosh. You will need a reasonably recent PC (with virtualisation support such as an i5 or one of the newer core 2 duo / quads) otherwise it won't run very well.

I have both a Hackintosh and A VMware version of OS X (at $39 for OSX it is cheaper than running Windows virtualised) and I have XCode installed and running in the VM. You cannot run something like Final Cut in a VM as it checks for real graphics hardware and VWare and Virtualbox don't fool it (but at $1500 for Final Cut creating a Hackintosh doesn't seen so over the top). XCode runs fine.

I use VMWare Player V3 and I also tried VirtualBox V4.04. Both worked okay but I ended up using VMWare Player as that is the one that was installed when I created my final image. There is little to favour one over the other.

I have a 3-core PC, 32-bit, running Windows Vista and VirtualBox. Is there a way to virtualize the non-server version of Mac OSX 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Desktop in the VME? When I tried it in VirtualBox by first creating a Mac OSX server (only available option), I could not get Snow Leopard to boot up and install on the VM. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

carlnunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lynda.com has a nice lesson on iOS web apps using HTML, JAVA, and CSS. The premium account comes with all the files you need to get started. Html5 basics all the way through what you need to know to get your web app behaving just like a store app.

clickasite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad Apps

I am interested in developing an app for Ipads and I would be interested in looking at what fellow members of this forum have developed so far.

Clickasite :)

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I've just started working through a C++ book as this seems to be the point to start, from what I read. Once I get through that (if I ever make it), I'll treat myself to an "inexpensive" macbook (ok, inexpensive and apple doesn't go together well) to start with the IDE. I thought about programming on my win7 laptop, but it just seems too much hassle to go through.
I don't necessarily have a real programming background, but I did some VBA in MSAccess and LabView programming, and the principles (from what I read in my C++ book so far) seem all the same.

gex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an Xcode app out yet for iPad or TBA release?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You mean to develop applications on the iPad directly? No

-t

cesctheman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to start learning programming and I have a windows 7 pc. If anybody got any pointers in what I should learn first before I decide this is what I want to do. Before I invest in a mac. Some books,websites and tutorials would be nice.

Most reactions