What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Create Photo Album, Use Dropbox

joewill1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is Joe Will, I'm a new member. Bought my first Apple product earlier this year, iPad 2.
I really like using it but I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the "Apple" way of doing things. I've used Windows for years - I think Apple is inherently easier to use once you figure it out.
Here's an example (I know it's simple, don't laugh at this). I want to use Dropbox on my iPad and have read the info and watched their video. Something is different on my iPad. I think maybe I need to create a photo album on my iPad to use for Dropbox but I can't even figure out how to create an album!
FYI in my earlier life (I'm near retirement age) I was an IBM mainframe programmer - I'm not a complete technical dimwit:)
Don't know if this forum is the right place to ask for this kind of help. If not, please just tell me where to go.
Many Thanks!!!
Joe Will

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dropbox is cloud storage. You can either use a free account (get 2GB of storage) or pay for more.

The Dropbox app is the way you can access that cloud storage. It's the connection between your iPad and that cloud. With it, you can download "stuff" from the cloud (pictures, documents, movies, songs, etc) to use on your iPad. Then, you can choose to remove it from the iPad when you are done (because it'll still be "in the cloud"), you can keep it on your iPad for future use or you can use your iPad to send that data/file/document/music/etc to somewhere/one else.

All that said, may I ask what you are trying to do with pictures? Because you can create all kinds of folders within the Dropbox cloud (to access via the iPad). Or, you can "send" all kinds of pictures from the iPad up to the Dropbox cloud.

You can also access the Dropbox cloud storage with your computer, which will help you transfer files between your computer and the iPad.

Just think of it as an ethereal hard drive or USB storage device.

That help any?

Marilyn

OP
J

joewill1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info.
I'm using a new app Oovium and want to save my work in a safe place. I've got Dropbox working now for Oovium but would like to save some other info as well.
An example would be docs I created with Word on my PC and emailed to my iPad. Haven't figured out how to do that yet.
I'm kinda new to the Apple world and like it a lot. But my "way of thinking" is still too PC oriented!
Thanks again for the help!!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Download the dropbox for pc app from
Dropbox - Simplify your life to your pc and install then you will see a new shortcut on your pc desktop that acts as a shared network drive. So anything you place in this folder on your pc will then show up in the dropbox app on your iPad.

mmr5000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using my iPad as much as possible, avoiding the windows PC where I can. I have uploaded photos from my native photos app on iPad to Dropbox on my iPad in order to share photos. When I go to create a link, it seems the iPad app will only allow a link for one photo aat time, not the entire folder. The website (also accessed on iPad through Safari) allows a link to an entire folder. Am I missing something? I have my folders of photos in the photos folder on Dropbox. I would like to send a link directly from the iPad app for the entire chosen folder and save the website step. Anyone know?

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In your photographs , at the top of the padre you can choose album. Then you choose edit and click on which photos you want in each album, oh when you go to album you have to touch the plus sign and it says new album? And you name it, like animals, then edit and add photos and click on the photos you want to put in there, like animal ones! I might not be exact but I know if I figured it out you will!!:eek: Squib

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am using my iPad as much as possible, avoiding the windows PC where I can. I have uploaded photos from my native photos app on iPad to Dropbox on my iPad in order to share photos. When I go to create a link, it seems the iPad app will only allow a link for one photo aat time, not the entire folder. The website (also accessed on iPad through Safari) allows a link to an entire folder. Am I missing something? I have my folders of photos in the photos folder on Dropbox. I would like to send a link directly from the iPad app for the entire chosen folder and save the website step. Anyone know?

Unfortunately, I've never found a way to share a folder from within the Dropbox app - I've only been able to "share" individual files. I, too, have to use the Dropbox web site (via Safari) to share folders.

Maybe it'll take an e-mail to the developers to see if they can add that function (or are even thinking of it)? I'd like to be proven wrong - but I can't find any other way as it is today. Sorry.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts