What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crashes, especially on Facebook...Help

scootobx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get crashes all too often, especially on Facebook, whether I'musing the app. or browser and mor especially if they are politically oriented.
I clear my history, cookies and cache often and make sure that I don't have excess apps in the background. Also, I reset 2-3 time a day.

???..Is it better not to have mor than one browser installed. I have/had Photon (Flash Browser) and Mercury installed. I took them out about 30 min. ago....will it help.
I run on 10 mb DSL wired entirely with Cat 5 throughout to the central office which is less than 1/2 mile away.
If anyone has any wisdom on what to do next, it sure would be appreciated.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More likely is because the iPad 1 has very low memory(only 256MB). Because of this you're going to see frequent crashes.

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Scoot -- Before you get rid of your iPad 1, try closing out the many Apps that load automatically. Press the Home button twice and the Apps will show along the bottom of the screen. Hold down one of them and you'll see the little minus sign show. Delete each one that you don't need running. Do a restart and you will have freed up some of that memory shortage. You're not deleting the App, simply shutting it off.

Some Apps are simply memory hogs, among them the Xfinity Connect App that works for Comcast customers. When that stops working properly, I need to do a restart.

OP
S

scootobx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Scoot -- Before you get rid of your iPad 1, try closing out the many Apps that load automatically. Press the Home button twice and the Apps will show along the bottom of the screen. Hold down one of them and you'll see the little minus sign show. Delete each one that you don't need running. Do a restart and you will have freed up some of that memory shortage. You're not deleting the App, simply shutting it off.

Some Apps are simply memory hogs, among them the Xfinity Connect App that works for Comcast customers. When that stops working properly, I need to do a restart.

I had been doing that and will continue. I did find that at removing, altogether, the other browsers I was using helped a lot!
Thanks

OP
S

scootobx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a Note: I deleted the Photon Browser and the Mercury Browser, along with their associated apps., and the crashing problem has improved a heck of a lot! Only crashed once so far today and that was most likely because I was streaming internet radio and was trying to open a news clip...Just pushed the RAM a bit far.
Reminds me of 3 Windows machines I had each with a slightly different version of XP...They simply got goofy if you added any other browser until Chrome came along.
I tried Chrome on the iPad 1 last night, but I got the same problem. So, my solution for the Gen1, at least, is use Safari ONLY..You'll just have to live with missing the occasional Flash Player vid that it won't play.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing that helped me when I first gen was getting old and slow was to make sure everything was backed up in iTunes and then do a factory reset. It worked great for quite awhile. Eventually you need to upgrade though. I went from a first gen to a third gen iPad and I love it. My son, who is four, still uses my original iPad.

OP
S

scootobx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing that helped me when I first gen was getting old and slow was to make sure everything was backed up in iTunes and then do a factory reset. It worked great for quite awhile. Eventually you need to upgrade though. I went from a first gen to a third gen iPad and I love it. My son, who is four, still uses my original iPad.

I think I would like to do that. Can you tell me how to do it so I don't screw something up....Greatly appreciated in advance.

S

PS: I don't have and additional computer to use!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts