What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crap, am I screwed?

Haltingpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a brand new ipad yesterday. Without thinking, I let iTunes install the update to it before checking about what I needed to JB it. So then after I got my new shiny 4.2.1 on there, I find out that there IS a JB available, but it is a tethered one. But then I read that there should be a new one available before xmas that does not require tethering, however it requires the SHSH blobs from an older OS version. Unfortunately, I did not know this before I updated and did not save my SHSH blobs.

Am I screwed out of any hope of ever JBing my 4.2.1 ipad?

What steps should I take to get it to a place where I can use a non-tethered JB? I've read about installing older IPSW files and found directories of them, but I'm not sure if its as simple as installing that and then using something to save the SHSH blobs that result from that. Please tell me I'm not eternally screwd!

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where did you read a new one should be available by christmas and requires old SHSH blobs?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are working hard to get the untethered JB out by xmas. I think they may have overcome the need for a saved blob. So the rumor mill says, as it grinds slowly onward.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a brand new ipad yesterday. Without thinking, I let iTunes install the update to it before checking about what I needed to JB it. So then after I got my new shiny 4.2.1 on there, I find out that there IS a JB available, but it is a tethered one. But then I read that there should be a new one available before xmas that does not require tethering, however it requires the SHSH blobs from an older OS version. Unfortunately, I did not know this before I updated and did not save my SHSH blobs.

Am I screwed out of any hope of ever JBing my 4.2.1 ipad?

What steps should I take to get it to a place where I can use a non-tethered JB? I've read about installing older IPSW files and found directories of them, but I'm not sure if its as simple as installing that and then using something to save the SHSH blobs that result from that. Please tell me I'm not eternally screwd!
You would have been out of luck for saving 3.2.2 blobs even if you did not update to 4.2.1. Yes you could have jailbroken 3.2.2 but you would never have been able to restore it if you ever needed to.

Once Apple stops signing a firmware you can't save the blobs even if you are running the older firmware.

Assuming you will only go with an untethered jb, I would say just wait it out. I don't think 3.2.2 will help much if you don't have blobs, but if you have it downloaded fine, ditto for 4.2.1.

FWIW I am jailbroken on 4.2.1 and the tethered aspect has been far less of an issue than I expected it to be. I reboot it every week, maybe less, with redsn0w just to give it a fresh reboot. But it never needed one unless I was installing or updating a system-level Cydia app, such as backgrounder. I don't do any installs or updates like that unless I have the PC right there to reboot.

Michael

OP
H

Haltingpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys--that makes me feel a bit better. There was a post on the dev site saying that you needed to have your pre 4.2.1 blobs saved for their hack to work but I'm sure they'll get there eventually.

So here's the problem now then...I wanted a JB ipad prior to my 10 day vacation to Mexico that I'm leaving for on the 24th. Is there any way to accomplish it given that I don't have any 4.2.1 blobs saved?

I was thinking I could do the tethered JB for 4.2.1 but the notion of not being able to use my ipad for the rest of the trip if for whatever reason battery dies or it needs a reboot is too much of a risk I think. Unless I'm misunderstanding how tethering works. If I need to reboot with a tethered JB can I reboot without access to the jailbroken apps? Like, if I had legit free apps on there could I do that and still use them?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well first, you can save your 4.2.1 blobs right now without being jailbroken by using tinyumbrella.

Second, the tethered nature of the current jailbreak means if your iPad should reboot you need redsn0w to use it at all: it will be stuck at the Apple logo. So that is a tough call on taking it away for 10 days. Might be better to wait till after to be safe.

Michael

Most reactions