What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked Screen - Too Easy!!!

BostonDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today, my iPad 2, which doesn't have a screen protector but was in a Snugg case, was standing horizontally upright with the cover folded around the back and into the tab, tipped forward onto my planner, rotating from standing on its edge to a face down position onto the planner. It was tipped from the back as I was moving a plate and fell just right so that the glass edge around the button hit the ring from my planner and cracked the screen. It fell only with the force of it's own weight. Although I don't have an iPad 3, my iPad 2 is only 7 months old.

I've read many stories how the Genius Bar has replaced individuals screens for free as a one-time-only basis. I went to the Apple store hoping they might be able to do something for me and they told me that they no longer replace screens free of charge and it is a $250 charge. I could see if I was really careless and dropped the tablet that I would not be covered, but this thing was literally tipped forward onto the planner with no force. I would have been fine paying up to $100 for a replacement, but $250 is a bit much, especially considering I paid $350 for it new at MicroCenter.

I understand Apple's position that they cannot replace the screen of every iPad that drops, but in my case, it was not dropped, it should have survived this without a problem. Although I really enjoyed the iPad, I can't justify spending another $250 on a device that is this fragile around the button.

I'm going to try another iPad store to see if I receive different results, but I won't spend another $250 to replace a 7 month old device.

If anyone has other suggestions on how I can obtain a replacement at a lower cost, I'd appreciate the direction. Right now, I'm at the point where I'm considering getting an Android 7" tablet. I know they are not nearly as nice, but they appear more durable. Kinda funny, I was planning on buying the iPad mini when released, but this experience has soured me on the iPad. I'm not a gamer and using the tablet for email, calendar, web browsing, and evernote.

All the best - Dan

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a perfect storm event. Everything lining up just right for the worst to happen. I had a iPhone4 enclosed in a very good case. I was sitting in a chair & placed it into the cargo pocket of my shorts. I missed and it fell just 24 inches onto a carpeted floor. It hit on the corner and screen cracked. A fall like that, nothing should have happened. Didn't fall that far, that hard and it was in a protective case. But when things line up, they line up and the worst happens. It is said that a diamond is the hardest substance on earth, but if you hit is just right....... your buying one for your lady.

It sucks, but you suck it up and go on with your life. I hope you find an Apple store that will replace it. But if not, think long a hard about jumping ship because the planets lined up for a one in a million event. Are you going for a product that will fulfill your needs or are you looking to feel better by punishing Apple. It was not their fault, it was not your fault. It just happened. Let it go and make the best decision you can based on facts not revenge.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Hi BD,

The accident you describe is worse than a full face plant because a small section of the screen took most of the force of the impact (falling against the raised coil of your planner). Had it tipped over onto a flat surface the shock would have been distributed evenly across the screen.

Pending a good will replacement at another Apple store, you'll have to pay for the repair or, attempt self repair at a much lower cost but without guarantee of success.

I'm sending you a link via PM of a self repair walk-thru that includes a secondary link to purchase the digitizer / screen replacement part. The screen itself retails for less than $60 plus applicable taxes.

Whatever you decide, including whether you replace your iPad with a newer edition or switch brands, device insurance does have its benefits including peace of mind.

Please update the forum so we know how it turns out. Your experience may help other iPF members.

BTW - you're missed in the "What Is It" lobby.

Best

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
B

BostonDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I tried another iPad store and received the exact same story, $250 to obtain a replacement unit.

Admiral - thanks for the link, however after viewing it I feel the time involved and the risk of something not going to the plan is too much. Whatever I end up doing, I will be back to the "What is it" lobby.

If I had dropped it by accident and caused the damage through some real force, I don't think I would have a problem spending the money on another iPad.

I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7 because I use Google mail/calendar/contacts and I like the idea of a 7 inch form factor. I'm not gaming and use this just for email, calendar, and web browsing. It's also not revenge swapping from Apple, it is because the Nexus 7 feels like it will survive better if a similar situation occurs, I like the idea of a 7 inch tablet, and the cost to repair it would be less should something like this happen again.

Still undecided, but I will update this lobby either way once I finally decide.

Thanks again for the replies.

OP
B

BostonDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I broke down and bought another iPad-2. The replacement was $250 plus another $50 for a 1.5 year warranty to give me protection in case this ever happens again. What's odd is that they call it a 2 year warranty, but the warranty starts from when you purchased the original iPad, not the replacement.

A measly $25 swayed me to the iPad. Google cancelled the $25 promotion for those that purchase the Nexus 7 a few days before my iPad cracked. Once I factored in costs for repurchasing apps for Android, tablet case, and external keyboards, it made sense for me to stay with the iPad.

Happy I have the iPad back, but it still bothers me that I paid another $300 for the device. From this point forward, I'll always buy the warranty for tablets. I think I am still going to purchase a 7" tablet soon to supplement my iPad-2. I'm waiting to see if Apple releases the rumored iPad mini and how it compares to other 7" tablets.

Thanks everyone - Dan

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dan, sorry for your mishap. I know that is painful, I would have felt bad too.

Thing is, I don't think the Androids are any more durable. And if you had bought one of them then you wouldn't even have a chance to get turned down as none of them have a store to walk into. Frankly, I think the stories of free replacements has not panned out well for Apple, because those hearing about such stories except similar treatment. But the fact is they cannot afford to replace tablets if the reason is simply the fault of the user. I originally had an iPad 2...after I got it I bought a square trade warranty, that provided accident coverage. When I sold it and bought the 2012 iPad, I got Applecare+. I'm someone who doesn't buy extended warranties on electronics gear. But the iPad is just too fragile. Also, I bought the most expensive model, so it would really bite if I had to replace it because of a mishap like you had. And truth be told, the same thing can happen to any of us. I but insurance on my phone for the same reason.

I think you made the right decision, but I admit that the Google Nexus 7 is a nice little tab, it would have been a good alternative. I do think the apps are better on iOS, though, and I have a significant investment in Android apps too.

Most reactions

Latest posts