What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert from ipad to ipad2

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone send me a link to or tell me how to move some apps/data etc. to the iPad2. I want the ipad (old) to serve a totally business purpose so there are only some apps I want to transfer, some to keep.
I imagine I need to do something in iTunes, but how and what?
Will it recognize 2 ipads?
Help appreciated.
RAM

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone send me a link to or tell me how to move some apps/data etc. to the iPad2. I want the ipad (old) to serve a totally business purpose so there are only some apps I want to transfer, some to keep.
I imagine I need to do something in iTunes, but how and what?
Will it recognize 2 ipads?
Help appreciated.
RAM

One of our Forum posters, twerppoet, sent this advice a while ago...

In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in.

Tim
Scotland

PvtMatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No iPad questions answered without support agreement

If you're an auditory person, phone support will walk you through it.

Just got off the phone after contacting apple support about how to transfer my iPad to my wife WHEN I receive my iPad2 (currently on order). The rep told me sahe could not transfer me to support unless I had an extended support policy. Is this crazy or just Apple typical?

I found the answers to my question on this forum but I had forgotten I had jointed earlier.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, not at all crazy.

You have whatever level of support you paid for. Applecare will certainly cover that but you have not yet received the device.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you originally sync your iPad 2, your apps should come with it. You can also manually sync the apps and choose which apps to transfer.

Also, you can simply re-download the apps. Once you've purchased an app, you can download it on any device so long as you are doing so on the same iTunes account. That is one reason why universal apps are so cool -- you basically get an iPhone and an iPad app for the same price.

Most reactions

Latest posts