What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constant Wireless Issues

dminches

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very frustrated by the frequent wireless signal drops I am experiencing. I cannot maintain a constant signal via wireless for more than 15 minures. I do not have the same issues with 3G nor with other computers getting a signal from my access point. I am no more than 15 feet away with a clear line to the access point.

Has anyone figured out any iPad or router tweaks to improve this? I have turned off auto brightness but that didn't help.

chandar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also facing frequent wireless disconnection issues. My Sony Vaio laptop does not have any problems when used in the same place.

A suggestion I read elsewhere is to hold the ipad vertically! (obviously inspired by iphone4 issues!)

Try holding it differently and see if you come up with some improvement!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having similar issues too. The iPad is asking for my wireless network's password every hour or so and the dang thing has 28 characters. I just copy and paste from the note tablet but it's a hasle I could live without. Sometimes I just turn off wifi and turn it back on and that works but still...
My service provider prefers that I not change router since it's theirs.

Wasn't a fix on the way from Apple?

OP
D

dminches

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also facing frequent wireless disconnection issues. My Sony Vaio laptop does not have any problems when used in the same place.

A suggestion I read elsewhere is to hold the ipad vertically! (obviously inspired by iphone4 issues!)

Try holding it differently and see if you come up with some improvement!

I am usually not even holding it since I have a nice case which holds the iPad at an angle. There is clearly an issue with the wireless connectivity. Hopefully it will get fixed.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
try a router firmware update.Probably not the problem,but i have cleared up device specific problems by doing this.

Last edited:
OP
D

dminches

iPF Noob
Reaction score
try a router firmware update.

That is apple's response and I don't buy it. I have no issues with either my laptop or my wireless music streamer. The issue isn't the router. It is the iPad.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
as my edit states,it cleared up a device specific problem.i.e. I had one netbook that kept dropping.The firmware update resolved it. All other devices were connecting fine. Worth trying I guess.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless I turn off wifi, I can't keep my iPad from connecting with my neighbor's unsecured network. They're about 200 ft. from my door.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
doesnt "forget network" in settings resolve this?

omero72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as far as the connection drops are concerned, it really depends on the Wireless Access Point.

And as far as the wireless coverage is concerned, it depends on the Antenna present on the AP.

I have an AP which was designed in 2005 (a ZyXEL G-570S) and it really sucks. But it doesn't solely suck with my iPad, from time to time it sucks also with my IBM R51 and it does have recovery problems when power it down and turn it again. So all in all, it's really the AP which is problematic in this case.

So I have replaced the G-570S with a TP-Link TL-WA601G and all of the problems have gone! Really. TP-link achieves it thanks to their efficient designs but also to their frequently updated firmware. So, Steve Jobs is more or less right when he says "update the firmware"

rickm1350

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used my 64 gig iPad of 5 different networks, all with different routers, and router brands, and have never had any disconnect problems.

My grandson just watched a 2 hour movie using Netflix on WiFi on the iPad. It didn't drop out, nor did the movie hesitate at all, during the entire movie.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Sprint Overdrive MiFi and never experienced this problem? Just got back from a long weekend in Gold Beach Oregon and we used the Overdrive pretty much none stop for 5 days.

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also had mixed results in different areas. Personally I am certain its more of a router issue or at least certain routers/security type (WEP,WPA,WPA2) not preferred by the iPad. In my apartment I have a Linksys and never had issues, at work we also use Cisco and in my various cafes they are an assortment of brands and I have never had connection problems...however, my in laws have a d-link router and my iPad consistently loses its network key every 15 minutes or so if constantly online.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also had mixed results in different areas. Personally I am certain its more of a router issue or at least certain routers/security type (WEP,WPA,WPA2) not preferred by the iPad. In my apartment I have a Linksys and never had issues, at work we also use Cisco and in my various cafes they are an assortment of brands and I have never had connection problems...however, my in laws have a d-link router and my iPad consistently loses its network key every 15 minutes or so if constantly online.
I think it has to do with WEP as you say. Apple has issued a warning about it. But I can't replace my router because my provider issued a warning that I don't.

Apple said that there would be a software fix. Where is it?

Most reactions

Latest posts