What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consequences of Erasing stolen iPad.

Downsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife's iPad mini has just been stolen in Spain. We have notified Police and looked on Find my Phone but it is switched off. I am minded to use to FmP to erase the stolen iPad mini but wonder what effect that would have on data, especially photos, that sync to and from my iPad and iPhone and my wife's. Is there a way of preventing loss of data beyond the machine which is to be erased?
Many thanks.

Downsman

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You shouldn't notice a difference on the other devices. If there are photos in PhotoStream, they will stay there, and you'll be able to save them somewhere else, before the 30 day limit ends, or before you have 1000 photos there.

To make sure you don't lose anything when erasing the stolen iPad, backup all the iDevices that sync to it. If something gets lost (shouldn't, but just in case), you can restore from the backups you created.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife's iPad mini has just been stolen in Spain. We have notified Police and looked on Find my Phone but it is switched off. I am minded to use to FmP to erase the stolen iPad mini but wonder what effect that would have on data, especially photos, that sync to and from my iPad and iPhone and my wife's. Is there a way of preventing loss of data beyond the machine which is to be erased?
Many thanks.

Downsman
You could also contact Apple, in case the iPad is ever taken/sent in for service. If it's a WiFi plus cellular iPad with a data plan you can contact your cellular carrier and have the IMEI number blacklisted.

Even after using Find My iPhone to erase the stolen iPad, Activation Lock will still prevent the thief from ever activating it, as long as you keep Find My iPhone turned on and don't remove the stolen iPad from your list of covered devices.

OP
D

Downsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks.

Downsman

Very good and useful advice, thank you.

Downsman

OP
D

Downsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You shouldn't notice a difference on the other devices. If there are photos in PhotoStream, they will stay there, and you'll be able to save them somewhere else, before the 30 day limit ends, or before you have 1000 photos there.

To make sure you don't lose anything when erasing the stolen iPad, backup all the iDevices that sync to it. If something gets lost (shouldn't, but just in case), you can restore from the backups you created.

Most reactions