What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting to remote computer

allin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have and ipad 2 and would like to connect to my work computer from a remote location. What is the best way to do this without having to buy a program are pay monthly fees?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Although there are a number of options, a 'remote desktop' app is likely your best choice - I'm using Splashtop - HERE - take a look if interested; also keep in mind that your 'work computer' may be under the control of a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection, so might require an app that satisfies that need and/or an additional app? Good luck in your choice!

schwazche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have and ipad 2 and would like to connect to my work computer from a remote location. What is the best way to do this without having to buy a program are pay monthly fees?

Hi Allin,

VNC works very well on the server side and it's free. VNC server is included in every edition of Mac OS X and I use VNC Server Free Edition on all of the Windows PCs (Dad's, Mom's, Sister's, etc) I need remote access to.

As for the client, take a look at iTeleport for your iPad2. It's $5, but worth it in my estimation. No monthly fees and it stores and automates all logins for every server you need remote access to. Simple, intuitive pinch to zoom and the remote screen is easy to navigate. Clearly the best client I found after trying most all of the others. Oh and no...I have no affiliation with them. I just like what works. :)

Hope this helps.
Brian

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is also Logmein which there is a free version. The $99 version allows you to transfer files between the devices and some other features. I use the free version and if I need something from the other computer I just open up outlook on that computer and email the file to myself and then open the mail program on my iPad to get it.

garob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Pocket Cloud pro as my preferred remote desktop app ...but I have also tried 2x client which is free .... VNC has security issues if used to access you machine behind a router ....

Also consider Teamviewer , which is free for personal use . I use the pro version to log into clients machines to offer support and it is great .

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been using iTeleport.. Works pretty good, but it doesn't transfer sound, so you can't do things like play MP3's remotely. There are no monthly fees..

Most reactions

Latest posts