What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confusion re: how to get my purchased iBook to appear on my iPad bookshelf

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've scratched around in the forums for awhile and can't find any reference to this problem, though I'm sure it's just me being confused by the iTunes software.

I went to the iTunes bookstore and found a book I wanted to buy. I believe I did purchase it. My iTunes menu, on the left hand side under the category heading "Store" and subheading "Purchased" shows the book title ... twice. I'm afraid I bought it twice, actually.

Anyway, this book thing doesn't behave the way an app purchase behaves, does it? I have four books on my iPad from a single previous purchase, but I can't remember how I got them moved to the iPad.

At this point I'm at a loss as to how to get this new book to show up on my iPad's iBook bookshelf. I attempted sync'ing (via the "sync" button on the bottom portion of the iTunes "Debsylvania's iPad" screen) but the book was not copied to my iPad's iBook Bookshelf.

Edit: A little more info... on the iTunes menu, on the left under the heading "Devices" and subheading "Debsylvania's ...", I can see the covers of all four books currently on my shelf as well as TWO copies of the new book cover. There is an option here to "sync books" but I get a message on using it that says all songs, music, etc., will be removed if I do it. If this means that it will remove what's on the iPad but also copy on to it the titles appearing here, no harm will be done at this point because I don't have any music or movies yet on the device, and the books I have so far were all purchased at iTunes and appear in the window. BUT.. if I did have books, movies, music, etc., from other sources this sounds like I would lose them, and I would like to know how to do this properly.

If I have purchased the book twice, is there any hope of getting a refund for the second copy?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Deb

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This sounds like an iTunes sync problem so I've moved your post to the Help section, where I think it will receive better attention. Yes - for sure - you'll be able to get a refund. Just call the Apple Support line with the transaction reference number from your iTunes invoice and they'll give you a refund to your iTunes account.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, the iTunes Bookstore on the computer is brand spanking new, so you didn't get your previous books that way. Instead you (most likely) opened the iBooks Store inside the iBooks app on the iPad, and purchased/downloaded them there.

To get your newly purchased book (that I assume you used the computer to purchase) into iBooks on the iPad, you have three options.

One: Open iBooks on the iPad, go to the Store, tap on the Purchased icon at the bottom, find your book and download it. Any book already downloaded will say so. Any book not on the iPad will offer you the option to download it.

Two: On the iPad go to Settings >> Store, and turn on Automatic Downloads for Books. From that point on whenever you buy a new book, be it on the computer in iTunes, or on another iOS device it will automatically download on the iPad. You can make the same settings changes on all your devices (and in Preferences, the Store tab in iTunes) so that purchased Books will auto download. {Requires iTunes 10.3}

You may not want to do that if you don't want all books on all devices.

Three: Connect your iPad to the computer. With the iPad selected in iTunes go to the Books tab and make sure you are set to sync your books, either all or selected (with the desired book selected) and sync the iPad.

Options One and Two are new. They came on line late last Monday and are part of iCloud's U.S. only beta service. Though it seems to me the Purchased icon came online a few days earlier, and may not be limited to the U.S., so maybe it will work elsewhere.

Also, to my consternation, Verizon iPhones can't play the auto-sync game or any other part of the beta iCloud service.

Last edited:
OP
D

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for providing such specific info for every option. You've been a tremendous help to me. :)

Most reactions