What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Composite/ Component AV cables

fitzpatrick2362

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just purchased a composite cable for the ipad2. It is for a relative who has an older tv and i think that they will only have the 3 ports. What I am wondering though is should it work if you have a tv with component outputs instead of composite. I have tried it on my tv with component outputs but I am only getting audio. Also as I am in the uk, tv output should be set to PAL???

Any help please

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Composite and component are different animals and incompatible. I do not expect your component INPUTs on your TV to be able to accept a composite signal. I don't believe PAL or NTSC has anything to do with it.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Composite - SD(standard definition), 480i. Yellow cable.
Audio - red and white cable(must be used with composite or component to get sound).

Component - HD(High Definition), somewhat, it varies....earlier days was only 480p, but standard component these days, it can do 1080i/720P, some claim 1080P(xbox360 etc).
Red, blue and green cable.

you are getting sound, because you have the audio cables plugged in, red and white cable.

to get video with component, all 3 have to be plugged in(red, blue, green)...... whereas only yellow shows video for composite.

backbase.jpg

that Coaxial(orange) input is for digital sound(better than stereo - which is red and white cables),.... which can be used to connect to a Surround sound receiver or a Micro system(boom box).

Optical is better than Coaxial, but goes head to head with HDMI for sound, but HDMI is the best for sound.
images
images

HDMI(1080P) - all cables in 1. Handles everything(it even auto-power on/off connected devices, with that feature enable on the device).

hdmi-connector-diagram.gif

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Composite and component are different animals and incompatible. I do not expect your component INPUTs on your TV to be able to accept a composite signal. I don't believe PAL or NTSC has anything to do with it.
Depending on your TV, they may not be "incompatible". I have a VCR composite output connected to one of the component video inputs on my TV. I don't recall which input offhand, though (i.e. red, green or blue) but I think it's the red one. Try connecting yours and see if it works. You can't hurt anything because they are both standard video inputs.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Composite - SD(standard definition), 480i. Yellow cable.
Audio - red and white cable(must be used with composite or component to get sound).

Optical is better than Coaxial, but goes head to head with HDMI for sound, but HDMI is the best for sound.
images
images

I have read that coaxial audio has less "jitter" than Toslink, so I don't think that Toslink is "better".

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple TV 1 and 2.

154446-apple-tv-back_original.jpg

i have ATV 2 connected to my 7.1 surround using Optical for sound, this way i can power off the Television, while still using Airplay for music.

I know i can use HDMI to Receiver, but satisfied for now.

i still use Coaxial for a DVD recorder i have, to receiver.

OP
F

fitzpatrick2362

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys. I think that I only have component inputs and not composite. I dont have a yellow and have 2 audio and a red blue and green input, thats why I cant get the composite cable to play video

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys. I think that I only have component inputs and not composite. I dont have a yellow and have 2 audio and a red blue and green input, thats why I cant get the composite cable to play video
Try connecting to the red, blue and green in that order and see if one of them will work for you. I did that w/my TV and it worked.

Most reactions

Latest posts