What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No component video from iPad tv-out?

banders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an older Sony TV but still pretty advanced for its time that has component input and so I purchased an iPad component output adapter and was excited to watch movies.

However, plugging it in I only get audio and the video is completely distorted, diagonal lines going up and down. The video improved slightly when I choose iPad PAL but only slightly and this is quite frustrating.

I suppose that the TV settings must match but the TV does not seem to offer any settings besides a predefined "DVD-mode" that only yields audio as above? Is this problem familiar and is there some other things I can try?

The TV is a Sony Wega KVSW25M31 but i have not been able to find the manual on the net, but I assume this is not so much a TV but rather iPad component problem?

OP
banders

banders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, for update I purschased a composite cable directly from Apple Store instead so now it works although component would have been even better.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do yourself a favour, and do the HDMI way.

and when you do, get an apple TV

whatis_gallery_slide120100901.jpg

it will solve your viewing needs, how about see everything on the iPad on your TV.

StarFlyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Poser,

If you read the OP post, you would have noted that he doesn't have a spare HDMI port on his older Sony. You got to do what you got to do.

That said, the HDMI operation works great on my setup.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Poser,

If you read the OP post, you would have noted that he doesn't have a spare HDMI port on his older Sony. You got to do what you got to do.

That said, the HDMI operation works great on my setup.

I know he doesn't, i was just telling him to get it, since he looks like he wants to enjoy this experience.

StarFlyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After doing a search myself, it appears that this TV (Sony Wega KVSW25M31) is more than a tad "dated". No online manual appears to exist. Judging from the post starter, it looks like this set may only have one component input. Looks like the OP should put his new ATV on the shelf and wait until he can get a newer set with HDMI inputs.

Wonder how long before HDMI is passé? In the last 30 years we've gone from composite to s-video to component to DVI to HDMI. Did I miss one? I'm sure those electronic geniuses have something coming down the pipe line to make the "upgrade" cycle move once again.

alkaline808

iPF Noob
Reaction score
banders its because wega's are old and dont use progressive scan so any digital signal thats not interlaced will look like that.

StarFlyr it will most likely be HDMI 2 and be backwards compatible just like USB 2 & 3

Most reactions