What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Completely new to apple

45Auto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all. I have never owned or used an apple product, but I am very interested in buying a new Ipad. I do not know anyone who owns an ipad so I thought I would try your forum for some beginners help.
1 - How much different is the ipad to navigate vs. a pc?
2 - Does it take much time to adjust to using the ipad after using a pc for years?
3 - Can I download pictures from my blackberry, photobucket and camera to the ipad as easy as I can with my pc?
4 - If I purchase the ipad, what would your recommendations be for accessories I should obtain at the time of purchase of the ipad?

Thanks for any help you can provide for this new guy.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you found us! I have not had my iPad for a year yet ~ almost, but not quite. I love it!

This was my first Apple product too. There are some links below that you can read for assistance. Also this forum is one big manual! Like popcorn? Pop some and start reading.:D

My biggest advice to you is to remember that the iPad is NOT a computer. There are many here whom have never touched or hardly touch their computers much anymore ~ but it is not a computer.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to Apple as well, having used PCs for more years than I care to admit (I first accessed the Internet when it was all text).

I'm a detail person so the first wow factor was when I opened the box containing my iPad 2. No film wrap to struggle with - it is very elegantly packaged.

1. Navigation is different. No mouse - just touch (which is really cool). You open your chosen app (application) by tapping it. Apps open pretty darn fast. The keyboard does take some getting used to, but I don't find it terribly challenging to use.

2. Adjustment: Using an iPad is pretty intuitive. Open the box, hook it to your PC (you must have the latest version of iTunes installed on your PC), register and sync it, and you're good to go. My biggest challenge was deciding which apps to install from the iTunes app store.

3. Info moving photos is no doubt addressed here. The search bar is pretty good. My experience is limited as I've had my iPad 2 for only six days.

4. The only accessory I purchased was the smart cover, which I do like very much. Haven't found a need for anything else yet - I use a small netbook bag to carry it around when traveling.

If there's an Apple store near you, do pay a visit so you can play with the iPad for a while. They always have counters-full of them for people to try.

It's a pretty magical device - but I still do use my PC and in fact, you have to have a PC available to sync the iPad.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all. I have never owned or used an apple product, but I am very interested in buying a new Ipad. I do not know anyone who owns an ipad so I thought I would try your forum for some beginners help.
2 - Does it take much time to adjust to using the ipad after using a pc for years?
3 - Can I download pictures from my blackberry, and camera to the ipad as easy as I can with my pc?
4 - If I purchase the ipad, what would your recommendations be for accessories I should obtain at the time of purchase of the ipad?

Welcome. I was in the same boat as you. I had not owned an Apple product of any kind since they broke my heart with the Newton many years ago.

1. Navigation is so very straightforward you will be shocked. However, that ease of use comes with a price. They do not really allow you to get to the inner workings of the system. No file system here. You will only be seeing the files they allow you to see. That being said I don't miss it one bit. As someone who used to edit autoexec.bat files to speed up his system I consider myself a bit of a power-user but I love the simple elegance of iOS.

2. Once you find the apps you want to use on a regular basis I think you will find very little difference between operating the two. The only real thing I miss is having a cursor to hover on items.

3. I don't know. But I believe they make a piece of hardware that allows you to insert memory cards and transfer pictures.

4. The only accessory I have purchased is a case. And I suggest holding off on a case until you find out how you use the iPad. I use mine in portrait position. I believe most people prefer landscape. Make sure the case you get supports the way you prefer.

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iPad owner myself...first Apple product, too. I have been a PC user since 1977 when I built my first S100 computer. The device was bought primarily for travel instead of carrying a heavier laptop with less battery life. Easier to navigate airport security ect. Was never going to be a 'computer' for me. While on vacation, I could surf, email, skype, text, online banking, watch movies, listen to music, view photos, transfer photos from camera via camera kit for backup purposes, etc. Pretty much everything I did on my heavier larger laptop. And it is great for that purpose. This was important for me, so I bought an iPad2 on the first day and 'learned' iTunes. Not real happy being forced to use iTunes and establishing an account with a creditcard (Since learned you do have the option of not using a card.) The 'locked up' sense of using Apple products compared to a PC is of course, according to each his own experiences. For me, it is great. But I deal with it, because the convenience and the utility of the iPad out weighs the negatives. It seems to me to be superior to any Android device and of course, any Windows tablet that has been...and probably ever will be.

HOWEVER, it is NOT a computer. It can't take the place of a real computer for people that really use a computer. Like for video editing, storing your entire photo collection of 250gb, inputting data and words (the virtual kb is highly usable but slower compared to a normal kb...I don't think I would write the Great American Novel on one if I had a PC available)... Take for instance some folks reporting on this forum that it is taking overnight to encode a DVD using an Apple computer, and totally forget using the iPad for this task. My PC does it in 20mins (yes, it is a fast hexacore but still a PC). After just a few days of owning this 'magical' device, I find myself using it more and more...around the house, checking email at the kitchen table instead of walking to the den and using my PC, watching a TV show with it on my lap and doing a quick check on IMDB, and ... just enjoying the convenience of a tablet. A very good tablet.

So, use the iPad as a TABLET. It is great for surfing, email, movies, etc but it isn't a computer... nor was it ever intended to be one. Steve Jobs has done a good job on new form of 'computing'. ENJOY IT!

Last edited:

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first Apple computing product, or any Apple product, outside of the Three iPods I've owned. I've found the interface extremely easy to learn and use. Can't wait till I can afford to shell out for an iMac to replace my Windows desktop.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
3 - Can I download pictures from my blackberry, photobucket and camera to the ipad as easy as I can with my pc?

1. Navigation is intuitive and simple. Be wary of messing with your "Settings" until you are a little more familiar with the product. Otherwise, be swipe/touch - happy.

2. There is no adjustment period to learning to use the iPad. It is not the same experience as using a PC but it shouldn't be. It wasn't designed to "be" a PC. It is quite different then most computing experiences though.

3. This is a bit more complicated of a question but the short answer is yes you can tranfer photos to your iPad. There is, however, a learning curve on manipulating photos, etc. I suggest you search this site for more details concerning this subject. There are a lot of helpful posts on photo transfer, etc.

4. Again, I would hold off on purchasing accessories until you figure out what you'll be using your iPad for. Lots of e-mail or writing and I'd suggest a wireless keyboard. Listen to music a lot in the house? Then external speakers might be a good purchase. And so on...

As you can see this forum is filled with great people who are always ready to help provide sound advice. Read through the forum and you'll also notice that it is a diverse group from all over the world. One of the major reasons that I come here is for the international feel for opinions and such from people that live outside my home country. It truly is an entertaining and extraordinary forum.

P.S. You should als be aware that there are a few trolls and a bit of suspect advice bandied about (especially about synching and restoring your iPad) but you'll soon know which is which and what to ignore. Be sensible. Read all the advise on a thread. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a long time Mac user, I was able to understand what the iPad was about before it came out. With that understanding, I had one of the first 3G models available. I was not disappointed and every day I learn more things that I can do with it. I actually prefer the virtual keyboard for typing, but I may be unique in that.

I use a PC at work and have several Macs at home. Each has it's use, but none will do everything. My iMac is the hub of my home entertainment center and acts as an internal server and storage hub. My MacBook is the primary computer and Internet access. I keep all my iTunes files on it and use it to sync my iPod and iPad.

My iPad is my do everything else and my grab and go unit. If I am going somewhere overnight, the MacBook is usually added to my kit so I can use it for various purposes that sometimes comes up. The iPad is what gets the most use. With 3G, I can use it for navigation and to find stores, addresses, plus more. I can even get gas prices in towns I go through. During times I am not driving, I can surf the web, do e-mail, and other things. It will not be as effective as a good laptop for doing office tasks like Word or Excel documents, even if you can read them.

The iPad puts your computer world conveniently in your hands. It is more than a computer, yet less than one. If you do a lot of photos, the easiest way to use the iPad is to use a SD card and the adapter kit. You may still prefer to use a PC to edit, but with practice, the iPad will do most basic needs. I would also recommend a good car adapter. Be sure to get one rated for the iPad from a reliable source. The iPad needs a 2.1A charger and most car adapters are 1.1A.

T

TJK

If you buy from an Apple Store check their schedule for FREE iPad and iOS orientation classes. You can also take them prior to purchase. Register online through apple.com

Most reactions

Latest posts